sashim80

Sam Ash or any other Music Store

4 posts in this topic

Hello! I am looking to get a Sam Ash of any other Music store card. My hubby wants a guitar for Christmas. Does any one know of any, who they pull, and what kind of scores they approve?? THANKS so much!

My hub is a musician; maybe he'll speak up here because he is familiar with every store. I can tell you this, though, just from collaborating with him in financing stuff:

Those cards are hard to get - I think they are pretty tough with credit standards. But they will finance almost anyone (in fact, I don't even know if they do a credit check) by breaking up the amount of big-ticket items into three even monthly payments. You don't even want to know what kind of payments ("only" 233 per month for three months!) we have going right now.

So that may be a way to get the guitar even if they turn you down for an actual credit card account.

It was a speaker AND the amp !! And the amp got broken into 5 payments.

I have had zero luck with any of the store music cards. It appears they are looking for high 600s to low 700s for your Fico. They almost always pull Equifax. I have been turned down for Sam Ash, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center (which is the brick and mortar arm of Musician's Friend), and a couple of others I have blocked out of my memory.

The real "Musician's Friend" is American Musical Supply I have gotten boatloads of stuff from them. The aforementioned SVT bass amp and matching cabinet, several guitars, lots of miscellaneous stuff. The way it works is you have to come up with either 1/3 or 1/5 of the total purchase price to have it shipped to you. If it's a big ticket item they may call and ask for some income verification. Once you've bought from them a few times your credit is essentially good and you can buy again and again. This is a dangerous thing for a musician.

Now this will not help OR hurt your credit - unless you default , in which case I am sure they would send a few guys from Jersey to hurt you and your credit. But as far as I can see they never report the loans or payments on any credit report.

Another option is eBay - which turns into a big musician's pawn shop this time of year. Guitar players across the country put their extra guitars, amps, and gizmos up for sale to fund their Santa buying needs. You can try for the Ebay Mastercard and if you don't get it you might get Paypal Buyer Credit for $300 or $500. I was able to get $500 with a FICO in the high 500s. It's GE Money Bank and they pulled Equifax. You can get a lot for a few hundred bucks on eBay.

Hope this helps ! :lol:

Guitar Center's credit requirements are incredibly strict.

No BK's, FICO's in the high 600's and up. :)