isislc

CIC Biggest Loser Contest

I need to get back on track as well....got a wedding to look good for too :p

Well, I've been getting myself all set up again for my knee. See my doctor on friday and should get the sign off to go back to boot camp in Jan. I already signed up for their next contest the PT is running in his boot camp. We get to find out what the prizes are tomorrow night. This time I have my daughter, DF, and a friend of mine. We're gonna have a good time doing this all together. :D

Down 8.2

:)

Down 11.2.

I managed to lose what I gained from Christmas extravagance and then some! Going into '09 with just 12 lbs left to loose is a great thing!

It's still going down!

I guess I'll just pat myself on the back since you all seem to be ignoring this thread this year...

Btw, my good friend was offered his own show on Lifetime called DietTribe. It's about a personal trainer helping 4 best friends to get in shape for their friend's wedding. It comes on Monday nights on Lifetime...check it out.

Again, let me know if anyone needs some advice for some weight lifting or healthy eating.

Well, I'm back on the ball and boot camp starts next week Monday!! I'm so hyped up now. Although I've been training for the last 2 weeks to get used to the types of workouts I'll be doing and finding out that it won't go too well. Spent the last 2 days this week just icing BOTH knees now. I'll have to make sure I stay away from too much repetitive bending and continue on the strength training for that.

So, how are you guys doing with the meal plans and acitivities I suggested for you? Hope you guys are working out great. Been following some of the progress posted here and it looks like it's working out. We just got some awesome recipes and food plans with our boot camp for our upcoming sessions. If anyone is interested in sharing in them, feel free to PM me.

Btw, my good friend was offered his own show on Lifetime called DietTribe. It's about a personal trainer helping 4 best friends to get in shape for their friend's wedding. It comes on Monday nights on Lifetime...check it out.

Again, let me know if anyone needs some advice for some weight lifting or healthy eating.

OK, I'll take you up on it. I'm going to start alternating my elliptical with weight training. I just got a weight bench and some weights and a bar to do bench press. So-I've got the elliptical down now I just need to get started on the weights. I've never really done any lifting before so can you tell me how to get started?

OK, I'll take you up on it. I'm going to start alternating my elliptical with weight training. I just got a weight bench and some weights and a bar to do bench press. So-I've got the elliptical down now I just need to get started on the weights. I've never really done any lifting before so can you tell me how to get started?

Make sure you start off pretty LIGHT. Most guys want to throw some weight on b/c they feel bad at times doing light weight. Myself and my roommate always do light weight most of the time, b/c you only want to work the muscles out now and keep the toned. Then, once you get to the weight you would like to be at or the tone lvl, then start upping up the weight.

1. Start out light. A weight you can do 3 sets of 15 reps pretty easily.

Plus, this will keep your heart rate up, and you will sweat during your workout as if you were doing cardio.

Thanks. I'm back home now so I'm going to start lifting tomorrow morning...

Let me know how it all works out for you.

I didn't lift yesterday... didn't do anything. And this morning I did cardio soooo Tomorrow will be lifting... so that would make mon/wed/fri lifiting and sun/tues/thurs for cardio...

Well, had my first boot camp today since my surgery. Boy is my knee screamin! Sitting here with a nice big bag of frozen strawberries on it. lol.

Day 1 Strength Workout

Today we started out with some warm ups such as high knee running and a jumping jack variations with lunge twists. Since most of that is still a no no for my knee, I did my alternatives which included high knee marching and windmills.

Then we moved onto 50-10 full body circuits. That's 50 secs with as many reps on each exercise then a 10 sec rest between them. So the workout went something like this: back pillar variations static/dynamic, horizontal pushups, single leg wall sits, Push up rows, and upper body twists. Then you rotate between all four 5 times.

Did some corrective rolling and stretching afterwards and worked on all the aching spots. Had to concentrate on the falf with the bad knee. Those muscles are so cramped right now but felt so much better afterwards.

Of course, today I was supposed to take my daughter and DF with me but they both copped out on me. It was too early for them so they went back to sleep. I was too excited so I was up since 3:30am and was the first one there. That was ok, gave me a chance to get all my workout gear for everyone in there right away. I'll see how I do tonight after my root canal. If I can hold up, I'll be going to tonight's workout too. :D

OK, so this morning at 6:30 I started:

With the dumbbells: Arm curls, overhead press, bent over row, chest press, lunge, shoulder squats, tricep extensions and front raise. On the bench I did leg extensions and leg curls.

So, I wasn't really sweating until the end when I did the leg extensions and curls. Mostly I was trying to get the form down for the exercises with light weight. I mean at the end of the reps I was feeling it. all told I was on it for about 60 minutes. I ate my normal breakfast wihch was egg whites, fat free turkey and a piece of wheat toast with almond butter and sugar free jam... and I was STARVING about an hour later... REALLY hungry.. which pretty much lasted all day. I had lunch early and snacked but until I had dinner I was hungry.

So I guess I need to change my food up on lifting days?

With the dumbbells: Arm curls, overhead press, bent over row, chest press, lunge, shoulder squats, tricep extensions and front raise. On the bench I did leg extensions and leg curls.

So, I wasn't really sweating until the end when I did the leg extensions and curls. Mostly I was trying to get the form down for the exercises with light weight. I mean at the end of the reps I was feeling it. all told I was on it for about 60 minutes. I ate my normal breakfast wihch was egg whites, fat free turkey and a piece of wheat toast with almond butter and sugar free jam... and I was STARVING about an hour later... REALLY hungry.. which pretty much lasted all day. I had lunch early and snacked but until I had dinner I was hungry.

Yea. You are going to be burning a lot of calories so you are going to be hungry :)! VERY HUNGRY at times. Just make sure you don't overstuff yourself, or only eat HALF of your meals (if it's huge).

Start carrying around (if you already don't) raw nuts, a healthy trail mix (Central Market/HEB have good ones), fruit - you know the drill.

Work out sounds great! - 45 min. - hour is good. You might be able to rest more throughout the week if you add some cardio into your weight lifting. You don't have to do many exercises with weight lifting; maybe 5 - 6.

I ate my normal breakfast which was egg whites, fat free turkey and a piece of wheat toast with almond butter and sugar free jam... and I was STARVING about an hour later... REALLY hungry.. which pretty much lasted all day. I had lunch early and snacked but until I had dinner I was hungry.

With our boot camp, it's suggested that men eat 4 to 6 times a day and women 4 times a day because of the fat burn and muscle building involved with heavy workouts. The meals consist of 2-4 oz of lean meat proteins and all the green vegetables you want approx. every 4 hrs. The only veggies you can't eat all you want are carrots, beets, potatos, peas, corn. They are starchy and have more natural sugars. You also get 2 snacks a day, one of anything from this list.

Half of Any Leftover Meal (optimal convenience)

4 Pieces of String Cheese

4 oz Cheese Jerky from The Snack PatrolR

4 oz of Any Cheese

4 oz Any Deli Meat (no sugar added, low in salt,

no nitrates)

4 Hard Boiled Omega-3 Eggs

Side Salad with 4 oz Cheese or 4 oz Meat

Limit to Once/Day:

1/2 cup or small handful of Mixed Nuts

(unroasted, no sugar added, low in salt)

4 Tbsp Nut Butter (unroasted, no sugar added,

low in salt) on Celery Sticks

Again, you can add green veggies to these options. This should take care of the hungry problem. Just takes a little bit getting used to. Once I got used to it, there weren't any problems with being hungry. One thing you should never do though is starve your body, it will only start to store fat and that isn't good. Don't forget, drink lots of water!!

Our workout schedule is M,W,F followed with cardio on T,TH,S. So when you keep a schedule like this for your workouts, you would be better off staying on the 4 hr eating schedule on a regular basis. Hope this helps.

Well, went to my 2nd workout last night. This time I took my daughter with me. Played it smart this time, I packed 2 ice packs for my knee so I could ice between circuit sets. The workout went a lot easier this time, although I was a bit sore between having dental surgery earlier and my first boot camp in the morning. Made a nice dinner of southern steak and broccoli for us when we got home. To drink we had a nice strawberry protein shake. Protein shakes or snacks following a workout helps reduce muscle soreness you may experience the next day. ;)

Feeling real good today, soreness is almost non existent. Even the knee feels real good today. Haven't checked on my daughter yet. I figure she is going to be in a lot of pain this morning. She doesn't like protein shakes. hee hee. I'll get her trained!

Later today I'll probably do a short workout with kettlebells and then take my daughter to our 24 hr health club to get some cardio sprints in with the recumbant bike. Gonna go make breakfast this morning, 3 egg omelette with spinach and broccolli, 1 oz cheese and 2 slices of turkey bacon. YUMMY!

Will let you know how the cardio works out. :D

Today I did my 40 minutes on the elliptical. I really can't go for much longer than that because my feet really start aching bad (and will continue all day if they start). But today I did try to keep my heart rate around my goal of 70% of optimum... and that made the first 30 minutes a MUCH heavier load than what I had been doing up to that point. So I think I was getting a lot more out of it. Plus my leg muscles were sore from yesterday.

Yesterday I took some of my Tortilla wraps that are low calorie/fat and high fiber and cut them up, brushed some olive on them added some seasoning and baked them. Now I have some Tortilla chips I can nibble on. I will get getting some dried fruit today to snack on.

What veggis are good to snack on then? I don't really eat many. I like Soy Nuts but they have a lot of fat in them... and are you considering legumes as veggies or not?

Oh and I dropped 1lb from yesterday-which while not very significant-it dropped me out of the range I had been hovering in for 2 weeks and to my lowest weight since I started on 12/1/08 so that is all good! Even it it doesn't last it is sure a mental boost to continue lifting. :)

Today I did my 40 minutes on the elliptical. I really can't go for much longer than that because my feet really start aching bad (and will continue all day if they start). But today I did try to keep my heart rate around my goal of 70% of optimum... and that made the first 30 minutes a MUCH heavier load than what I had been doing up to that point. So I think I was getting a lot more out of it. Plus my leg muscles were sore from yesterday.

A recommendation on the soreness for ya. After a workout try taking either a large foam roller, tennis ball, or a rolling pin (yes a rolling pin 8-)) and then start rolling out your muscles. You will come across a few knots, if so, just concentrate on rolling those out. Yes it will hurt at first, but once you have worked on those knots your muscles will feel much better and it will help on the soreness. I always have the problem with cramping in my feet so I will just sit at work or home for an hour watching tv and just rolling my foot on a tennis ball. You will feel a difference.

Another thing to try, when you take a shower, soak your body in Cold water for 20secs (as long as you can handle) then switch to the hot water. Then rinse and repeat again, this is also good in controlling soreness and tightness in the muscles.

Yesterday I took some of my Tortilla wraps that are low calorie/fat and high fiber and cut them up, brushed some olive on them added some seasoning and baked them. Now I have some Tortilla chips I can nibble on. I will get getting some dried fruit today to snack on.:)

Those tortilla chips sound yummy but I would stay away from the dried fruit if I were you. Dried fruit is nothing but the concentrated sugar left in the fruit with the liquid removed. Your body will choose to burn that first instead of going for fat. You may want to stay away from tropical fruits since those are higher in sugars also. Apples and fibrous fruits are better either fresh or frozen. Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, etc.

What veggis are good to snack on then? I don't really eat many. I like Soy Nuts but they have a lot of fat in them... and are you considering legumes as veggies or not?:)

Some veggies that we snack on around here are green beans, broccolli, cauliflower, Celery, and I like to just eat spinach out of the bag. Yeah try to stay away from anything soy, they tend to have more fat and harder to break down. If you're trying to lose, go with whey types of protein supplements, trying to gain then soy is the way to go. Legumes are considered a veggie and those are good to eat except for the soy type bean and any of the pea type legume vegetables. Peas in general are sweeter so you can eat them, just in moderation. If you want to eat some of those more sugary veggies like carrots and peas, you can have some of those just after a workout in moderation.

Oh and I dropped 1lb from yesterday-which while not very significant-it dropped me out of the range I had been hovering in for 2 weeks and to my lowest weight since I started on 12/1/08 so that is all good! Even it it doesn't last it is sure a mental boost to continue lifting. :)

Good goin! I am trying not to look at my weight for at least 2 weeks. Then I'm going to get everyone on that scale so we can have some kind of workin scale measurement for our weight loss. Also, don't forget, since you're concentrating on the weights, your weight may fluctuate. Although you have lost weight in fat loss, you may still gain weight in muscle mass, so don't be discouraged. :D