Think I Have an Actionable Violation on TU?

zwiepak

Ok, so I'm helping my GF clean up her credit, and sent TransUnion maybe two or three letters, each disputing different accounts. I sent two letters on one day, then the others a two days later. Keep in mind, each letter contained two, but not more than three, completely individual disputes.

So, we get a letter today saying they've got 15 additonal days, blah, blah, blah.

Now, 611 says:

"§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i]

(a) Reinvestigations of disputed information.

(1) Reinvestigation required.

(A) In general. Subject to subsection (f), if the completeness or accuracy of any item of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reporting agency is disputed by the consumer and the consumer notifies the agency directly, or indirectly through a reseller of such dispute, the agency shall, free of charge, conduct a reasonable reinvestigation to determine whether the disputed information is inaccurate and record the current status of the disputed information, or delete the item from the file in accordance with paragraph (5), before the end of the 30-day period beginning on the date on which the agency receives the notice of the dispute from the consumer or reseller.

(B) Extension of period to reinvestigate. Except as provided in subparagraph ©, the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A) may be extended for not more than 15 additional days if the consumer reporting agency receives information from the consumer during that 30-day period that is relevant to the reinvestigation.

© Limitations on extension of period to reinvestigate. Subparagraph (B) shall not apply to any reinvestigation in which, during the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A), the information that is the subject of the reinvestigation is found to be inaccurate or incomplete or the consumer reporting agency determines that the information cannot be verified. "

There was NO "addtional" information provided. All the disputes were individual, and no "additional" information was provided REGARDING any of those individual disputes!

It's been said around here that if you've disputed *anything*, whether directly related or not, that the CRA gets a +15 days.

There's very, very little chance that a judge would let you nail them with a violation on this point alone. You'd want to be able to prove that they've repeatably and consistently given you the run-around, and that you have a legitimate dispute.

Ok, so I'm helping my GF clean up her credit, and sent TransUnion maybe two or three letters, each disputing different accounts. I sent two letters on one day, then the others a two days later. Keep in mind, each letter contained two, but not more than three, completely individual disputes.

Out of curiosity, what was your logic in doing that? You've done nothing more than spend extra postage in submitting one dispute.

yup - true dat...but they could do the same thing if you send them 5 letters or so in a week....."frivolous" comes to mind...

True. I'm actually one of those culprits. I have two online disputes pending with TU and I'm getting ready to send them a letter disputing more (the ones that they've called "frivolous" in the past, now I'm sending more info).