Old Credit Card Come back on my Now DH

cassyfaye

well about a few weeks ago... i knew nothing really of this account he had. but apparently it was a credit card (which i knew he had). His last payment on this card was in 2001 (7 years ago) we were not together then or through the period he had this card (97-01).

well Hoffman, Winberg and Obrien (how ever you spell it) called. Now after 7 years they have just now started trying to collect. so i talk to the woman and she made me feel really bad like horrible. i was all crying on the phone.

but anyway.

what should we do about this? i have read about some SOL stuff... its 3 years here in NC i beleive. but they made me feel really crappy :(

Welcome to the board!

And, yep, that's the way they work. They try to make you feel like the scum of the earth for not sending them money. So...

First...don't talk to them on the phone. Wait for their letter (it should be there within 5 days), then send them a "debt validation" (DV) letter. You can read about those on the board here. Make them prove they've got the right person, the right account, the right amount, and the right to collect in your state.

If the debts that old, chances are they bought it from somebody, so it may not even be real. Once you're absolutely sure its is real and is beyond the SOL, send them a cease and desist (C&D) letter. (But, realize, that even if it is SOL, they can still try to collect).

#1 Don't talk to them on the phone.

#2 DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THIS DEBT IN ANY WAY.

#3 Send them a Cease and Desist letter.

Like this:

12/27/07

Re: Account # (Whatever they put on their letter)

Dear Scumbags,

I have no knowledge of this debt. I'm never going to pay this debt. Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you are hereby ordered to cease and desist any and all collection activities.

Hugs and Kisses,

You

-r

wow... haha that easy huh. well is been like 3 weeks... no letter recived yet. and i know they have this address... its funny how they called everyone... and i mean everyone down to his sisters ex inlaws....so i guess we will see if i get a letter.

i wrote all the notes down so i know what to look for and send whenever.

thanks guys :)

wow... haha that easy huh. well is been like 3 weeks... no letter recived yet. and i know they have this address... its funny how they called everyone... and i mean everyone down to his sisters ex inlaws....so i guess we will see if i get a letter.

i wrote all the notes down so i know what to look for and send whenever.

thanks guys :)

talking to ex sister in laws is a violation in itself. Keep good notes, dates and times

These guys are right in all but they forgot one thing in the letter. Make sure you include FOAD for making you feel like crap. Go get em hun! No one should be made to feel like crap because of mistakes they have made. We're human, no one is perfect. If you fall off the horse, just get right back up on it. Getting involved in this wonderful forum is a good way to start! :twothumbsup: