Would this be legal

nihil

Lets say you enter into a contract with a family member agreeing to pay them a large amount of money. You then have that family member sue you and go through the whole process of getting a judgment and collecting on the judgment via a wage garnishment. That way when your real creditors come to collect there wont be anything left for them. I would never actually do this because its probably some kind of fraud, but I was just thinking about it.

This has got to be the most unusual defense against CA's I've read on this forum. Reminds me of the time my uncle filed bankruptcy and previously put all his assets into a relative's name. After the bankruptcy was discharged the relative wouldn't give my uncle his stuff back.

Yeah... pretty unusual, since most states I know of will only allow one garnishment of the non-exempt income at a time, if it was a big enough amount you could keep them waiting around forever. And I seem to remember reading something about a stipulation that a judgement has to be reaffirmed every so often or they can't collect it?

Ah well, it wasn't meant to be. I was also thinking one could set up the family member with a New Mexico LLC and then have yourself sued on behalf of the LLC. Might make it a little harder to trace. This is the kind of stuff I think about these days. I'm pretty desperate and just about out of options. I can't survive on 75% of my "disposable" income. I really need to file bankruptcy but I can't for the time being. Guess I'll just have to move to a no garnishment state like Texas and try to find a job there.