collection agency question

spango

Interesting.....I've been reading the boards for about a month now and have made some pretty good progress so far. I've never heard the situation willingtocope described put the way he did and it has my interest.

I had originally though that if you ran into a brick wall with a PFD offer you might try the same thing with an OC who would call the debt back and delete for the paymet. But you are saying that if the OC calls the debt back the CA would stop reporting it? Would that mean that the burden for reporting then fal on th OC?

I'm curious about this and about how succesful the strategey of getting the OC to pull the debt back in hopes that it would not continue to be reported?

Also...sort of on the technical side...but if a collection has been reportted and appeared on a CR, wouldn't it take someone (OC or CA) to request a removal for it to come off before the 7 yrs. I ask because I have a number of items that reflect that the last time they were "reported" was several years ago. Though some of my items report monthly these seem to be sitting on the report with out the need for the CA to "re"report.

Thanks!

The key to a PFD with the OC is that you almost certainly have to offer payment in full. Offering to settle for less than the full amount may not interest them. Once the debt is paid to the OC, the CA no longer has any reason to be reporting. You can dispute the CA's TL, and if they continue to verify, then you can threaten to sue them under the FCRA based on the fact that you never actually had an account with them. If the OC is reporting, chances are they will change their TL to read something like "settled" or "paid collection" or something along those lines...but again, you can negotiate.

As far as paid or settled TL's that just seem to continue to sit on your reports go...try disputing them as "not mine". If the reported doesn't verify, the TLs should disappear. (PFD is technically a violation of the contract between the creditor reporter and the credit agency (NOT your problem). That's why both OC's and CA's sometimes will accomplish the same thing by just not verifying your dispute).

Note that all of this is just "tactics". Your mileage may vary. Depends on who, how much, time of year, etc.

Wow!

Great info from a slightly different angle than I had read on the board to this point. I have a couple of old medical collections that I disputed with the CRA and then sent PFD letters to the CA (which included non-disclusure etc.). I disputed electronically with EX and via mail with TU and EQ. As of this morning they were deleted from EX. I'm pretty excited.

The CA never responded to my PFD but I called them and they said no. I had spoken to the OC who told me no as well but if I can get these removed by disputing with the CRA's so much the better! I guess my next step...if they are verified with the other CRA's woul be to give it one more shot with the OC's (but in writing this time) and if that fails try contact the doctors directly and offer a PFD telling them that their billing offices are not operating in their best financial interest.

Thanks again for your info. Very helpful.

DANGER! DANGER!

you have to be careful in paying the OC when the account is in collections.

You have to be aware that the OC and the CA have a contractual

relationship and by sending in the payment to the OC, it may just be

forwarded to the CA.

So you end up with a paid collection on your CR.

you have to be careful in paying the OC when the account is in collections.
Absolutely. But, if you call the OC and offer to pay them...and they say "no, you'll have to work through the CA, my response would be "no, I don't work with CAs. If you want paid, take my money directly, or take me to court and we'll let the judge decide who's right".

If you make the check out to the OC, and they forward it to the CA, they'll have to endorse it over to the CA. You can use the canceled check as evidence to the CRAs that you paid the OC.

Again, this is all just suggested tactics. You're best bet is to pay your bills on time. When circumstance don't permit that, your next best thing is to do as little damage as possible to your credit ratings. Paying a CA is almost always a bad idea.