hambone

Late Student Loans Killing me!!

Back in 04 I was late on my student loans up to 120 days. I had several student loans out there with several companies and I had just moved to a new state after college. When I found out I was late I quickly consilidated them and have since defered them. On top of all that I was deployed to the middle east and it was just impossible to keep up with it all.

What is the best move to get the late payments off my credit report?

HELP!!!!!

On what grounds would you dispute it??

Keep in mind frivoulous disputes can backfire.....the lender can go back and look and see "oh he wasnt just 120 days late, he was 160...."

Federal law requires the accurate reporting of all tradelines for student loans. Removing them would not be accurate reporting.

I had a simular situation with my student loans I moved and didn't receive the notice. This was in 05 so I wrote wellsfargo a GW letter which the wrote back sorry but it remains. So after agruing with the CRA I decided to write a statement on the report stating that I did not receive a statement that they were due. Also the credit reporting people added that I disagred with the notation of late. So anyone pulling the report would know I felt it was incorrect. I don't know if it helped but that was the only thing I could do. :)++

I had a rough patch where I went 90 days late on a student loan. I applied for and was granted a 6 month deferment. It was retroactive back to the date I missed my first payment. So now I am up to date, but the TL still shows late payments. I disputed with the CRAs, and they came back as "updated" but nothing changed. The 90 day late is still there.

I disputed (online) some old student loan lates a few years ago and EX deleted those months (as if they were never reported) after they got no response from the loan holder, TU deleted the entire TL after about a week and EQ finally updated the TL in question after I requested MOV via CMRRR when it took them 10 seconds to decide it was accurate.

Lynn was a debt collector and seems to enjoy kicking people while they are down when they are only asking for help. It kind of turns me on, but most people don't appretiate it.

I disputed (online) some old student loan lates a few years ago and EX deleted those months (as if they were never reported) after they got no response from the loan holder, TU deleted the entire TL after about a week and EQ finally updated the TL in question after I requested MOV via CMRRR when it took them 10 seconds to decide it was accurate.

Lynn was a debt collector and seems to enjoy kicking people while they are down when they are only asking for help. It kind of turns me on, but most people don't appretiate it.

Ouch! I personally am grateful for all the advice that Lynn offers. She brings alot of good experience and knowledge to this forum.

SL 's are a completely different animal than CC's, private loans, auto loans ect..

When it comes to my lates, I'm content with letting them "drop" off, I too disputed with EX and it did indeed backfire on me- I ended up with more late TLs than before I disputed.

You have a disrespectful tone most of the time.

You also automatically assume people are trying to get out of paying their student loans, when they really just want some leverage to keep from being kicked while they are down.

You seem to gloss over the devastating effect of the way student loans are reported and the fees and costs that seem to double and triple the amounts owed when the CA's collecting use clever accounting practices to achive that effect.

There needs to be more of a stand against student loan collectors and the guarantors that look the other way when the CA's act as if they are the law.