Bogus billing

My wife broke her clavicle while mountain biking last summer. She received a bill with an item for over $400 above what her insurance would cover. The $400 item on the bill is a bogus charge. We don't know if it is just a mistake or a misrepresented treatment. My wife knows that she didn't receive any treatment that even closely fits the described item...it was billed under "surgery" first and then changed to "manipulation" but neither treatment occurred (nor anything similar). I'm not a physician but I know broken clavicle treatment pretty well. There was nothing in her treatment outside of the routine.

She discussed the bill twice with the clinic billing department but, now they won't return her calls. They don't allow in-person visits without an appointment but she has tried. At this point she feels that she is out of options and the bill will likely be sent to a CA soon.

She would like to seek a legal remedy to this mostly based on principle...and that $400 not a tiny amount of money to us. What are her options?

Can she use small claims? Can she sue the physician or the clinic?

Any help or advice appreciated.

sue for what?

If it is indeed bogus, complain to your BBB and your AG. If itis a provider, complain to teh local medical society. And check with your insurance to see if it was ever submitted. And make sure you send the provider a letter saying you dispute the bill as a service never rendered and you refuse to pay it.

sue for what?
Don't know. Basically we just want to find a way to force them correct the bill.

Thanks Recovering. I guess we're just not sure how to deal with this. She is definitely being billed for a service that wasn't rendered. I'll look into your suggestions. Hopefully we'll find some way to get them to consider our complaint.