DV'd with out SOL debt

I left an appartment in FLA in Oct of 2002 and I gave notice to my land lord. They said it was fine. Now I have a collection on my credit report. I DV'd it and they sent me a copy of the lease and a statement of payments. I left FLA in Oct. '02 and have proof of this. According to FLA SOL laws its 5 years from when you left the state. So they are pursuing me to pay the debt after the limitations. They claim the debt is for the remaineder of the lease that the landlord said was not an issue. They are asking for 4k and willing to settele for 3k and remove it from my report. How do I proceed now? Should I send them proof of leaving the state and a copy of the SOL law for FLA and tell them to blow?

Did they throw this item on your CR's prior to the SOL expiring? If so, the item can remain on your CR's for 7-years. If the SOL has expired, they cannot actively collect on the debt but they can continue to report it. That being said, if you do not have any documentation from your former landlord relieving you of the balance, you're going to have a hard time proving that you don't actually owe it.

I do have proof that I left the state more than 5 years ago. Should I offer the CA a smaller amount since it is out of that SOL for them to remove it from the Credit reports?

The best time to do PFD is when the SOL has expired because you have the upper hand. After all you don't Have to pay.

If you're only wanting to get rid of the TL- go for it- BUT- get EVERYTHING in writing including that they agree to remove the TL from all of your CRs and they will NOT sell the balance. The debt is to be extinguished permanently!

If you don't get things in writing then they didn't happen such as the entire reason this is on your CR.

AND if you don't get things in writing, they could take your "partial" payment and re-set the SOL- bringing the debt to collectible status again, which would bring the TL current and plummet your scores.