Laptop Issue

NASCAR_Devil

I have a Toshiba Satelite A75-S211 laptop that I bought about 3 years ago. About 18 months ago I started having problems with it just shutting off for no apparent reason and the screen would darken down to virtually unreadable. I've had it put up for about the last year and took it to a co-worker who took a look at it. Now apparently the screen is working just fine and it will stay on as long as I leave it at the log-in screen but once I log on....5 minutes later...click...it shuts down. It's a 3.2 ghz and it gets as hot as Hades but I can hear the fan constantly running when its on. It's way out of warranty and I don't want to spend a boatload of money to get it fixed but it worked great when it would stay running. Any suggestions as to what th eproblem may be and a low cost alternative for repair?

Have You tried taking it apart to clean out the fan area? Sometimes those get dirty as hell and need to just clean out but you need to take it apart to do it correctly. It's obvious that the machine is over heating. Once you do that, a cooling pad isn't such a bad investment either.

Go with last two posts. Take it apart and do a thorough cleaning, you'd be surprised at how much dust and crud gets sucked into a computer, that is most likly the reason for the overheating. Get one of those thingamadoodads with the fans to sit the laptop on, not getting enough airflow is a problem. Run CCleaner, it is a free download, Adaware, and Spybot. Defrag often. If need be, do a reformat of the hard drive, You might also need to replace the HD altogether.

As for the NASCAR ad, let me start an argument. After living in the south most of my adult life, I still can't watch it. Bunch of guys driving in circles. yay. Now, someone say something intelligent other than they watch it just for the wrecks.

Go with last two posts. Take it apart and do a thorough cleaning, you'd be surprised at how much dust and crud gets sucked into a computer, that is most likly the reason for the overheating. Get one of those thingamadoodads with the fans to sit the laptop on, not getting enough airflow is a problem. Run CCleaner, it is a free download, Adaware, and Spybot. Defrag often. If need be, do a reformat of the hard drive, You might also need to replace the HD altogether.

As for the NASCAR ad, let me start an argument. After living in the south most of my adult life, I still can't watch it. Bunch of guys driving in circles. yay. Now, someone say something intelligent other than they watch it just for the wrecks.

I can assure you it's an overheating problem. I had the same problem with my laptop and you would be amazed how much dust gets sucked into those things. As for the thingamadoodads, it's called a cooling pad. lol. When you clean it out, try using a mini vacuum then when you use the can of air, make sure you are pointing the tip so that whatever is being blown is blowing away from the core. If you blow in, you're just moving the dust in deeper.

Sounds like the heatsink is clogged and it's shutting down to save itself.

If you're not small-screw inclined, you can take a can of compressed air and blow into the exhaust ports. You'll get a puffs of dust and lint. Blast the vents in each direction until you don't see dust. The intake is usually on the bottom / exhaust ports on the rear or sides.

Toshiba-Satellite-A15-heatsink.jpg

Toshiba-Satellite-A35-heatsink.jpg

Toshiba-Satellite-P15-heatsink.jpg

These are pics from a Toshiba Satellite. You should try to avoid dismantling the machine. If blasting air through the vents doesn't work, then you may have to take it apart.

I have fixed several of the toshibas with the overheating issue...most of them have been overheated....due to the fan, but as long as you have been running yours I would worry about damage to the hard drive and the processor...so cleaning will help but may not fix your issue...If you want to send ot to me at the shop PM me.

I agree the problem is overheating, you may want to try a cooling pad like Isis said, or I used to set my computer in front of a fan. :goodluck:

I used to use ice packs for under the laptop. If you go to a Walgreen's and ask in the Pharmacy if they have any extra ice packs from medication shipments that they can give ya.

Sounds like the heatsink is clogged and it's shutting down to save itself.

If you're not small-screw inclined, you can take a can of compressed air and blow into the exhaust ports. You'll get a puffs of dust and lint. Blast the vents in each direction until you don't see dust. The intake is usually on the bottom / exhaust ports on the rear or sides.

Toshiba-Satellite-A15-heatsink.jpg

Toshiba-Satellite-A35-heatsink.jpg

Toshiba-Satellite-P15-heatsink.jpg

These are pics from a Toshiba Satellite. You should try to avoid dismantling the machine. If blasting air through the vents doesn't work, then you may have to take it apart.

I have Toshiba sattelite that I use when I don't want to log onto the big machine, and for use when I travel. Mine has never gotten that bad, but the inside of a laptop can get that clogged quickly depending on the environment, and if its used indoors with smokers around. I keep compressed air handy and keep it and my desktop gaming rig cleaned out as often as possible.