What do you want done if your grocery purchase is.....

isislc

Ok what would you guys want if your grocery purchase is ruined in some way and you didn't know till you opened it?

Today we got a gallon of milk with the date of the 25th on it. Had some of it for cereal and it was ok. Well I went to pour a cup for the baby 4 hrs later and it's coming out curdled. I was like wth. I called the store and told them the first 2 cups were ok then it was low enough where it had settled and started pouring out. I called the store and the manager wanted to know what I wanted him to do about it. Well, for one, look into why it happened and 2 either give me a refund or a different milk. Of course, if that one is bad too I'll want my money back.

That sucks.

Ive had this happen several times with regards to perishable items. Usually i will just toss it and go buy another.

I guess I would just be a little embarassed walking in the store with a block of moldy cheese or a container of spoiled sour cream, asking for a refund/exchange.

Or its because Im too lazy...either way.;)

That sucks.

Ive had this happen several times with regards to perishable items. Usually i will just toss it and go buy another.

I guess I would just be a little embarassed walking in the store with a block of moldy cheese or a container of spoiled sour cream, asking for a refund/exchange.

Or its because Im too lazy...either way.;)

I asked the guy right out if he wanted the gallon of milk back, well what was left. I let him know that there were little chunky particles attached to the sides that he could tell that I was telling the truth if he wanted to see it. He said to go ahead and dump it but bring in the bottle, they can still get credit for it.

I've bought spoiled milk a few times and just threw it out. But I've never had it be fine and then 4 hours later it was spoiled! That is really weird..:confused:

It looks like it was curdled and just settled to the bottom. The milk had no spoiled odor or anything to it other than small chunky particles stuck to the side. Now my DF would have no clue if it was spoiled or not. He would have just have it like that but I know better.

Are you sure your fridge temp is set correctly. My 2 year old likes to play with the temp settings and light in the fridge.

hey MORROW- no its not embrassing taking back 2 packs of Scooby Doo mini cheese sticks cause they were green when i started to feed my 2 year old his favorite cheesestick. We traded for mickey mouse shaped ears at the store. So if you dont have a kid- borrow the neighbors and take "it" back. whatever "it" may be. Hey its your hard earned money!!

Are you sure your fridge temp is set correctly. My 2 year old likes to play with the temp settings and light in the fridge.

hey MORROW- no its not embrassing taking back 2 packs of Scooby Doo mini cheese sticks cause they were green when i started to feed my 2 year old his favorite cheesestick. We traded for mickey mouse shaped ears at the store. So if you dont have a kid- borrow the neighbors and take "it" back. whatever "it" may be. Hey its your hard earned money!!

Yeah, the temp is fine. He bought a gallon yesterday and I didn't know about it so I told him to pick up another gallon of milk this morning. The milk from yesterday is fine and the one this morning was the one that was curdled. I know the brand our Walgreen's sells too, so I'm sure it was the Walgreen's brand that was bad.

I think chunky milk could be a new product. If nobody else has claim I'll run out an apply for a patent immediately. Yummy. :lol:

Oh yuck. lol ::spew::

And no one try to say that it's just like yogurt. It's the base for making yogurt but it needs to be pasteurized.

My housemates and I enjoy practical jokes...

are you sure someone didnt put marshmellow chunks as a joke?! heh

lol, that would have been a good joke but no. The baby is too short to reach for anything with the texture of marshmallows and DF is too tired to even think about that. lol

Oh yuck. lol ::spew::

And no one try to say that it's just like yogurt. It's the base for making yogurt but it needs to be pasteurized.

If you can find out how the grocery was able to chunky it, please let me know as I'm drafting the patent and need to draw up the process language.

Thanks,

Yes sir, I'm gonna be rich !!!

If you can find out how the grocery was able to chunky it, please let me know as I'm drafting the patent and need to draw up the process language.

Thanks,

Yes sir, I'm gonna be rich !!!

LOL I think the yogurt makers have you beaten to that patent process.

I remember going back to grocery stores with return items with my mom as a kid, whether something was spoiled or she was overcharged. She was a frugal woman who watched her change and she has done well....she has got the bucks. Me on the other hand, would toss the milk regardless of the principal or the small amount of money in my bank account.

I've bought spoiled milk a few times and just threw it out. But I've never had it be fine and then 4 hours later it was spoiled! That is really weird..:confused:

Sounds as though a temporal anomality has opened in the space time continuum at the back of your fridge, causing the rapid aging of lactic life forms.

Mr. Sulu, plot a course for the anomality. Mr. Scott, realign the main deflector dish to emit a tachyon pulse to close that rift. The future of dairy products is at risk!

Sounds as though a temporal anomality has opened in the space time continuum at the back of your fridge, causing the rapid aging of lactic life forms.

Mr. Sulu, plot a course for the anomality. Mr. Scott, realign the main defector dish to emit a tachyon pulse to close that rift. The future of dairy products is at risk!

LOL, no the milk was all curdled. The first 2 glasses poured were the first layer. So I didn't think I was crazy, I pulled out the collander and poured out the milk. Oh yeah, chunky city as I got to the bottom of the gallon. The bottom of the gallon was pretty much pudding consistency. lol. Yummy!

Yes - do return anything that is bad. I don't want money back. It's more of an F.Y.I when I do. I work for a grocery broker and many times stores don't know unless you tell them. I'd safely say that 98% of the folks or better don't say anything.

One bad store situation I encountered was I told the store manager of a national chain that he had some out of code yogurt on his shelf. I shoved it back so folks would not take it. Was back in the store two days later and all the same stuff was re-faced. Yuck! xbugeyesx

As far as milk, my experience would tell me that the truck was too warm, too long, and the person who checked it in did not do a temperature check. (This should be done for all persishables/frozen.) That will make milk go bad in less than 24 hours.

I also worked for food manufacturers and the same thing. They need to know as well. It's tough when it's a store brand (private label) but if you can find out, let 'em know. If we had more than a dozen complaints, we would change something.

Now some of the complaints were "interesting". Will go there another time....

My thoughts:

I would return it...It's good you called. I once returned a chicken. I was just out on my own, and that's what people used to do.

SGIP: Walgreens. Not defending them, but ...The company that delivers there, also delivers to every other store in the area that they are contracted to. Another stop might be....the stop and rob down the street. More than likely the milk is bottled at the same plant with a different label attached. Every store is different, but I would bet that they left it sitting out of the cooler too long, AFTER it was delivered if you bought some sour stuff.

(DD used to work for huge milk company)

Stefdr.....aren't you in that place where they give you that funny weird milk in little cartons?? If I recall, that stuff doesn't even have to go in the fridge.

Just asking :roll:

Stefdr.....aren't you in that place where they give you that funny weird milk in little cartons?? If I recall, that stuff doesn't even have to go in the fridge.

That what we get here. I can't tell if its even real milk. I thinks its actually reconstituted powdered stuff, could even be soy milk. I had a few of the little cartons in my little fridge that were still drinkable after a couple of months.

My thoughts:

I would return it...It's good you called. I once returned a chicken. I was just out on my own, and that's what people used to do.

SGIP: Walgreens. Not defending them, but ...The company that delivers there, also delivers to every other store in the area that they are contracted to. Another stop might be....the stop and rob down the street. More than likely the milk is bottled at the same plant with a different label attached. Every store is different, but I would bet that they left it sitting out of the cooler too long, AFTER it was delivered if you bought some sour stuff.

(DD used to work for huge milk company)

Joanne: When I called the manager said that he had not gotten any phone calls about that problem that he was surprised. When I had my DF go in with the gallon I left a little bit in the bottom so he could see the chunky milk and the particles along the side of the bottle. He was actually surprised that no one else caught it.

Zfire: There have been a many a time that I have run to Walgreen's and see all the cubes with the milk sitting in the middle of the floor in front of the cooler. I think the milk is fine when it gets there, it ends up curdling from the wait time to be shelved.