what if CA listing has wrong account # ??

ssrider

I have a Unifund listing on all three of my CRs that has the wrong account number for a CC I used to have. The numbers match up for the first few numbers, after that it is way off.

My questions are... Is this an indication that the CA doesn't have accurate info or is it the CRA's having the inaccurate info? Does the CA create there own account #? Or should it be exactly what my CC account # was?

I disputed it on EX online a couple of months ago, saying it wasn't mine, but it came back verified.

Thanx

Thanks for your help.

Also, I called the OC about a year ago to ask about the account and they said they had no record of it. No record of me in their datbase. The debt is about 4 years old.

Could this be an indication the CA might have insufficient records regarding this account?

Thanks for your help.

Also, I called the OC about a year ago to ask about the account and they said they had no record of it. No record of me in their datbase. The debt is about 4 years old.

Could this be an indication the CA might have insufficient records regarding this account?

Have you DV'd the CA? This is the best place to start. You can read more about the DV process here. :)

I haven't DV'd the CA because the amount they say I owe is so massive ($20,000, well over twice as much as I originally owed to the OC) and it is nearing the SOL for my state.

I have received no contact from the CA. I only know about the CA through my CR's. I have had a discussion in these forums before and a few people thought it best to let sleeping dogs lie, at least until the SOL has passed.

thnx

CA's are required to have a different acct number than the OC also the OC balance should be listed as $0

I think the CA will have a different account number than the OC only if they now own the account and are not trying to collect for the original creditor.

I haven't DV'd the CA because the amount they say I owe is so massive ($20,000, well over twice as much as I originally owed to the OC) and it is nearing the SOL for my state.

I have received no contact from the CA. I only know about the CA through my CR's. I have had a discussion in these forums before and a few people thought it best to let sleeping dogs lie, at least until the SOL has passed.

thnx

True. It's best to let it slide past the sol if you can wait.

We don't need to bring on anymore problems than we already have.

ssrider, I have a similar situation, too where the CA original account number does not match up with my records... the first half of the numbers match and the rest are not even close. The CRA also has the OC's original account number as this different account number. I went and dug through all my paperwork and found statements and the original loan agreement so I'm very confused why even the OC is listing this different account number...

And like your situation, it's being stated I owe over double what I originally owed. :(

When I called the CA the first time and said the account number doesn't match with my records, the woman said she would investigate and call for the original records... she told me to be patient and that it could take some time-- they would freeze the account, etc... I waited... The account was passed to another agent and when I discussed the situation, again, I was told they would request the original documents, they would put a hold on the account. I stated again that I wanted proof in writing that they have the right person, the right account, the right amount. Her response was something to the effect of "we have your name, if it was fraud, how would we have your name? We just put it on some random account?" But seriously, what if this is some strange glitch and information got entered incorrectly? How do I know that this isn't someone else's loan?

Now the account has been passed on to a law office. I got their letter last week and am going to send a DV however I haven't done so yet... people here on the forums have such varying views on what to say, what not to say and how to say it and now I am more confused as to what I will say! I know that I want to keep it simple and I've been advised not to use the form letter.

I did recently call the OC and said I was being contacted by a creditor about an account # that didn't match my records... she asked my name and looked it up and told me they show the account number as the same number as the CA. She said that it may be that the branch my loan was with initially closed and therefore it was transferred to another branch-- and got assigned a new number along the way but she couldn't be sure. But again, all the paperwork I have and statements leading up to my last payment have a different account number so it all just feels wrong.

If you are still within SOL, it is best to keep your head down low, the collection agency could sue you in court and obtain a judgment.

I am still outside of SOL myself on a few accounts, but I won't dv them because I don't have any income to pay them. And I don't trust my luck to just chase them off.

No one is addressing whether or not it is legal for them to collect on what they say is the original account number but is not the actual original account number. Does anyone know if it is legal for them do so? Is there a way to throw out everything if they do not have the actual original account number? If they are trying to collect on an account number that does not match up with original account number records, how do we know that the debt they are trying to collect on is in fact our's?

"CA's are required to have a different acct number than the OC also the OC balance should be listed as $0"

In my situation, the CA assigned their own account # and they are also listing the original account number as some number that does not match up with my records-- the first 6 numbers match and the last 8 numbers do not.

Most always a CA will use their own account number. I've seen on assigned debt where the OC and CA were the same, just not too often.

To clarify a coment made. The only time an OC balance is reported as a zero is when the debt has been sold or transferred. If the debt is assigned, you may find both reporting the same. Understand that a medical, for example, will only report the CA as most medical providers do not report. This is where some confusion lies when trying to decipher a CR.

Regarding the OP's claim the debt is over 4 years old, then this debt is timebarred and no legal recourse is available. The OP, and others from California who have not read this thread, needs to read our sticky on California law on page one of this section. Read all of it. Click on each reference and read there. The URL in the second post does not work for some reason, so, just enter into your address and press go. Read the whole thing. An example of what is in there is how it is illegal and a violation to even attempt collection of a debt too old to be enforced.

Since the SOL on reporting applies, the only thing you could possibly do to maybe get it deleted is to begin by disputing as "not mine" with the CRA and see what happens. Then fight from there. Why is becuase on occasion a JDB, which Unifund is, contacts in hopes of causing you to pay. But, you respond as to the SOL and tell them to close, delete, and go away. Try that and see, then, let us know. Maybe we can find something else.

I'm sorry but I wish I could make this more clear without actually giving the numbers here :(

The original account number on the statements I have from back in 2004 from the OC does not match the original account number that the CA states is the OC original account number. Also, the original account number on my credit report for the OC is not the account number I had with them. When I called the OC recently they said that it may be that my number got changed when a branch closed. But I don't have any statements with the number they state it got "changed" to. If they did change it, shouldn't there still be record of the original account number that I have all the paperwork for?

Just thought of something while reading you last post. On occasion, the CRA's will alter numbers, or omit numbers from an tradeline so as to protect against theft. I wonder if this is true here. Take a look and see. If not, then dispute with the CRA's as to the discrepancy and hope for a delete.

hi Retmar-- there are some x's at the end, however there are enough numbers to see that it isn't the original account # that I have records for.

A bit more info... the loan started out as $4000 with yet another account number. A month later, they offered me $3000 (which I should have said NO, but unfortunately, I didn't). I went into the office and signed an agreement-- the agreement noted the first account number and the new one for the total amount of $7000. On my credit report, they list the very first account number for the $4000 as an account of good standing and paid and closed. And the $7000 loan is on my credit report with the account number that matches the CA.

I haven't found any statements that I can find after 2004 (when I stopped payments) so when this account number was allegedly changed, I have no idea when that was exactly. I would think the credit report would have record of the account # I have record of, like they do with the $4000 loan? I just don't see how the account # I have record of has disappeared in a sense? I don't feel comfortable with the fact they are trying to collect on some account # I didn't even know about...

wahoo238, no, this is a Household Finance (HFC) account.

hi Retmar-- there are some x's at the end, however there are enough numbers to see that it isn't the original account # that I have records for.

A bit more info... the loan started out as $4000 with yet another account number. A month later, they offered me $3000 (which I should have said NO, but unfortunately, I didn't). I went into the office and signed an agreement-- the agreement noted the first account number and the new one for the total amount of $7000. On my credit report, they list the very first account number for the $4000 as an account of good standing and paid and closed. And the $7000 loan is on my credit report with the account number that matches the CA.

I haven't found any statements that I can find after 2004 (when I stopped payments) so when this account number was allegedly changed, I have no idea when that was exactly. I would think the credit report would have record of the account # I have record of, like they do with the $4000 loan? I just don't see how the account # I have record of has disappeared in a sense? I don't feel comfortable with the fact they are trying to collect on some account # I didn't even know about...

wahoo238, no, this is a Household Finance (HFC) account.

Once again after the acct is turned over to a CA the Acct # gets changed.

I have 5 of these on my CR and have checked into it.

I thought like you at first about the different acct numbers. It doesn't matter the CA's issue their own acct numbers.

It goes like this.

Your original Acct number is with the OC and establishes your acct with them. Once it is sold or transferred it has to change because you no longer have this relationship with the OC.

Look at it like a phone number.

When you move to a different calling area your phone number is changed. Just because it is a different phone number doesn't mean it isn't your number anymore it just means that you are now dealing with a different company or a different division of the company.

I hope that made sense to you.

Still like others have posted use the DV process if you don't think that it is yours.

TTigggers, yes, I understand--once the account is turned over to a CA, the account is also assigned a CA account #.

This account has a CA account # (example: 33808xxx) and then they have the OC name and what they call the OC original account # (example: 21810200xxxxx0). And on my credit report, the OC account # matches what the CA says is the original account # (example 21810200xxxxxx0) but it doesn't match what I have record as being my OC account number (example 21810212xxxxxx4).

That's where I'm confused. If the OC branch did transfer my account to another branch as the rep I spoke to said may have happened and they changed my account # at that time, I don't ever recall getting notice of that happening.

I know I did have an account with this OC. I am just concerned, are they going to go through their records, find the real account and then say both of them are mine? That is where I am concerned.

Ok, well in that case I think I would ask the OC for an investigation to see what kind of information they have on you. I would do this for both of the acct numbers listed. The more info you can get from them on this matter the better.

How close is this to the SOL?

I remember you said that you didn't want to stir things up.

Also was this acct from a discount loan company?

The hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up when you said HFC. They are also HSBC and Beneficial. The whole organization is nothiing more than liars and ripoffs. I've been working on a project to give to some state and federal senators about them. They need to go.

Reading you last post brings up a question. This agreement you signed and last paid on in 2004. Was it with HFC? And, does it mean you borrowed $3000 more to include with the original $4000? I say this as your comment about the $4000 being reported as closed with positive TL turned on the light. Why this turns on the light is IF the HFC TL shows a zero and positive, thus, no lates, such as a 30 day, then this is true. IF it was reported as a zero with lates, the comment would read "sold or transferred", meaning they sold the debt. If this is true, then I have your answer.

The original contract was for $4000. You went in and borrowed another $3000 on that account. What happend is you entered into another contract with HFC. Therefore, they paid off and closed the original, then wrote the new, which, of course, generates a new account number. A friend of mine who I'm helping deal with them now, did the same thing. She now has 2 different numbers for the same creditor.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up when you said HFC. They are also HSBC and Beneficial. The whole organization is nothiing more than liars and ropoffs. I've been working on a project to give to some state and federal senators about them. They need to go.

Reading you last post brings up a question. This agreement you signed and last paid on in 2004. Was it with HFC? And, does it mean you borrowed $3000 more to include with the original $4000? I say this as your comment about the $4000 being reported as closed with positive TL turned on the light. Why this turns on the light is IF the HFC TL shows a zero and positive, thus, no lates, such as a 30 day, then this is true. IF it was reported as a zero with lates, the comment would read "sold or transferred", meaning they sold the debt. If this is true, then I have your answer.

The original contract was for $4000. You went in and borrowed another $3000 on that account. What happend is you entered into another contract with HFC. Therefore, they paid off and closed the original, then wrote the new, which, of course, generates a new account number. A friend of mine who I'm helping deal with them now, did the same thing. She now has 2 different numbers for the same creditor.

LOL Very true I have had 2 loans with them and about 5 with Regency and that is exactly how they are reported.

Ok, well in that case I think I would ask the OC for an investigation to see what kind of information they have on you. I would do this for both of the acct numbers listed. The more info you can get from them on this matter the better.

How close is this to the SOL?

I remember you said that you didn't want to stir things up.

Also was this acct from a discount loan company?

How much information will the OC have now that the account(s) have been sold/transferred? How/what should I say to get this info? Isn't the CA supposed to be getting all this info for their DV?

September 2004 was date of last payment, so I still have a ways to go and they've already transferred it to legal... I'm nervous. :( Yes, this is Household Finance.