Ravenous Wolf

Burglar murders homeowner, claims it was self-defense...

Death sentence for murder upheld

Web Posted: 01/25/2008 12:07 AM CST

Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA012508.02B.convictionupheld.566fad9e.html

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed the capital murder conviction and death sentence of a San Antonio man convicted of cutting the throat of a woman in 2004 during a burglary, the Bexar County district attorney's office said.

Taichin Preyor, 33 at the time, had broken into the apartment of Jami Tackett, 24, by kicking down the door on Feb. 26, 2004. He attacked Tackett and her boyfriend with a serrated knife, prosecutors said, although defense lawyers said he was acting in self-defense.

Now let me get this straight... This low life degenerate kicks down the front door... The occupants fight back so he slits a woman's throat and then claims it was in self-defense... Well maybe he saw it as two against one...

How do these defense lawyers live with themselves with this kind of crap especially if a thug like this ever gets off the hook on a defense like that...

Well..I've heard stories that a burglar breaks into a house, injures himself somehow, successfully sues the owner of hte home he was burgling!

Can't confirm or deny any of it, however.

Well..I've heard stories that a burglar breaks into a house, injures himself somehow, successfully sues the owner of hte home he was burgling!

Can't confirm or deny any of it, however.

Happens all the time. New York City tried to pass a law restricting a thug from filing a lawsuit for injury if he or she was at least fifty percent at fault for a crime. Other states and municipalities have attempted to do the same thing.

In my hometown, there is a personal injury lawyer who has this commercial saying that you can still recover damages even if you are up to 50 percent at fault. I am sure he has a lot of thugs for clients...

so If I stab someone who shoots me, i can get damages, so long as I only stabbed up to 49 percent?

There are actually a lot of lawsuits precisely on that... Last year, an appeals court in New York overturned one of the largest awards in the state's history for a thug who was injured while he was trying to kill a cop with a submachine gun...

Seriously? A freaking jury of 12 people? WTH was on that jury? Freaking mobsters?

Juries have always been a mixed bag... A co-worker of mine was on a jury about a kid who stabbed a teacher (teacher got fired because she defended herself during the scuffle). A juror told my co-worker that she couldn't say the kid was guilty because he looked indigent. My co-worker explained that he also grew up poor but that he never assaulted a teacher while he was growing. Eventually, that other juror relented and voted for guilty.

I thought jurors only weighed the facts...not if the guy "looked guilty", "looked poor", or whatever.

I now, that's in an ideal workd...blah blah blah. But still.

I thought jurors only weighed the facts...not if the guy "looked guilty", "looked poor", or whatever.

That is why defense lawyers want certain jurors... For some murder cases, they are looking for a middle age woman who is willing to "mother" their client... In the Ramirez case (he was the Night Stalker who brutally mutilitated his victims) in L.A., a young female juror voted guilty and that got him convicted... Afterwards, she decided to become his private investigator and became one of his biggest fans because she thought that he was such an awesome person...

Another co-worker of mine had been a jury foreman twice. He told me that in each trial, there was a juror who said that regardless of how guilty the guy was, there was no way she could vote guilty. He took her to the judge and she repeated the same thing and she was removed (as you said about only weighing the facts and that also includes the possible outcome)...

there's a huge potential market out there for auto anti-theft devices and methods that will never see the light of day because of thief's rights. These being electrical charges, gases, restraints, etc...

I have to believe there was more to that case than what was mentioned - that does not sound like a San Antonio jury. Regardless, Texas has instituted the "Castle Doctrine." One can not be held liable for protecting property against illegal actions. In addition, we no longer have a duty to retreat if life or property is threatened.

It doesn't say the defense worked...just that he tried it.

That is EXACTLY what my law professor in college used to say... You can try anything as a defense... It doesn't mean that it is going to work...

If you remember Liar, Liar, they mentioned an actual true story in there and switched it around.

A man broke into a house through the attic window and when he tried to lower the stair, he broke it fell off with it and the weight sent him and the collapsible staircase through the roof onto the dining room table. He sued the homeowners for negligence for his injuries, pain and suffering, etc. and won!

xheadscratchx

Regardless, Texas has instituted the "Castle Doctrine." One can not be held liable for protecting property against illegal actions. In addition, we no longer have a duty to retreat if life or property is threatened.

That would be correct. And I'll tell you what, (Gosh I sound too much like Hank Hill :lol:), if somebody kicks down my front door, they're getting a bullet in the a$$. Whether they're attacking me or running out. Either way-I'm getting my point across. I hate low life scumbags. :mrgreen:

Insofar as criminal attacks are concerned, in or out of the home, here in Washington one can fight back and shoot back, and one likely won't face a criminal trial if it's really self defense. Law on the use of force here is quite good, one of the best in the nation IMHO.

However, civilly, I've heard mixed things as to whether criminals will sue and prevail here. I know of and have read about such civil cases in Florida, New York, and other places.

If all the stories were told as THEY WERE then maybe things wouldn't be the way Everyone sees them to be! 

The actual story is the guy goes into the woman's house. Whom was HIS Girlfriend at the time and caught her with another man on their bed. He lost it and did what he did...

hence the difference. I'm against him killing the two, but again; everyone reacts different!!

how would you or the (reader) feel if they hear about their loved one being with someone else, therefore u rush to see it with your own eyes...

now YOU (The reader) ask yourself, what would you do??? Put yourself in that position. What would your heart be like in that moment, what would your mind be telling you that same instant you see him/ her with another person!!!???

so yeah, the consequences cost him dearly!

and their consequences was tragic aswell. In this case, both parties lost!

but that's the true story of the incident. Do more research regarding this case.

At a law study case, I had to look for cases that were both drastic and at the same time contradictory to logic. Sucks for the guy and the woman who were ended, but at the same time it sucks for him too!

look at the summarized version of the Incident, on this...

https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/preyortaichin.html

look at their wording, then read what it says here... burglary??? Yeah ok.