N.Y.C. Parking tickets-Collection Agency

mr. r

Hello All! This looks like the right place for the right answers.

So a dunn letter from a collection agency comes the other day for several unpaid parking tickets my wife incurred some time ago.

These are not on any credit reports and they do not affect her driving priviledges

(If she wants to register a car in NY State in her name they have to be paid and that's when they will be.)

The letter indicates to make the check out to NYC Finance and mail it to a NYC Gov't address so I suppose it was not a complete write-off by NYC.

The dates on these violations are all from the year 2000. To the best of my knowledge this makes them past the Statute of Limitations law in NY State.

Can I ignore the collection agency and just pay the fines when I desire to or am I running the risk of something bad showing up on my wife's credit report or worse.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me-Marty

The CA is bound by FDCPA, so you can ask for DV, raise a defense if they sue when it's past SOL, etc.

If city governments want to ruin ppl's credit because of a parking ticket... then treat their collectors like any other CA.

Edit: As for it showing up on your wife's CR, the running of the reporting period is 7 years, so reporting it would be a violation of FCRA.

The CA is bound by FDCPA, so you can ask for DV, raise a defense if they sue when it's past SOL, etc.

If city governments want to ruin ppl's credit because of a parking ticket... then treat their collectors like any other CA.

Edit: As for it showing up on your wife's CR, the running of the reporting period is 7 years, so reporting it would be a violation of FCRA.

Ok I get the gist of what you are saying and that's my feeling also. I'm sure I'll go Duh...! when you tell me but what the frick is DV?

Thanks to both of you

Hello All! This looks like the right place for the right answers.

So a dunn letter from a collection agency comes the other day for several unpaid parking tickets my wife incurred some time ago.

These are not on any credit reports and they do not affect her driving priviledges

(If she wants to register a car in NY State in her name they have to be paid and that's when they will be.)

The letter indicates to make the check out to NYC Finance and mail it to a NYC Gov't address so I suppose it was not a complete write-off by NYC.

The dates on these violations are all from the year 2000. To the best of my knowledge this makes them past the Statute of Limitations law in NY State.

Can I ignore the collection agency and just pay the fines when I desire to or am I running the risk of something bad showing up on my wife's credit report or worse.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me-Marty

My opinion is, just pay them. I had some tickets with Philly reporting to my CR. Only TU, but enough to f-up the TU score. I thought they were from an ex-roommate that I already paid for, so I was not paying them on principle. When I finally got through the levels of Philly government and found out what they were about. Mine, oops, I forgot I got that one ticket during a snowstorm (heck I thought it was more, they were asking for $138).

Anyway, over the years, disputing them didn't work worth a damn. The only time it went away was after I paid.

Your situation might differ though since mine were still within SOL. I think though that government entities can keep renewing these things forever.

My opinion is, just pay them. I had some tickets with Philly reporting to my CR. Only TU, but enough to f-up the TU score. I thought they were from an ex-roommate that I already paid for, so I was not paying them on principle. When I finally got through the levels of Philly government and found out what they were about. Mine, oops, I forgot I got that one ticket during a snowstorm (heck I thought it was more, they were asking for $138).

Anyway, over the years, disputing them didn't work worth a damn. The only time it went away was after I paid.

Your situation might differ though since mine were still within SOL. I think though that government entities can keep renewing these things forever.

Thanks, I figured that also and just mailed out the check.

And thanks to all for your input-Marty