Wireless

Kwilson115

Hello All,

One thing that I don't see here is pertaining to wireless routers and secured internet. There are people driving around looking for unsecured networks that they could use to surf the internet and such. Wireless home networks need to be secured. It is nothing to access a network and then scan the networked computers from down the street. How many of you folks have alot of sensitive info on your computers? SS#s, Bank account#s, Passwords?

It only takes a few minutes to set up the encryption, and you will save yourself some hassles in the long run.

Food for Thought

ken

The unfortunate truth is that consumer level wireless encryption and protection methods are not secure. They keep out the random neighbors or casual drive-by's, but anyone who knows what they're doing and really wants in can crack it within hours at worst, minutes if lucky.

Not to dissuade anyone from doing it, by all means, secure your networks. Just know you can't completely trust that security. Setup WPA2 encryption, MAC address filtering, hidden SSID, even VPN capability, if the router supports it.

Also take steps to secure any computer on your network. Use firewalls, no blank passwords, no unnecessary network services running, keep up to date with security patches, etc. You must make it difficult enough for a hacker to not be worth them spending their time on.

Try going to their (Ativa) website and see if they have any updates or such. Ativa is a low priced product, so I'm not suprised. I personally have a Linksys N gigabit with very good encryption, to protect against people that like doing that kinda stuff.

And Quoting Jasen:

Also take steps to secure any computer on your network. Use firewalls, no blank passwords, no unnecessary network services running, keep up to date with security patches, etc

This is especially true if You like Starbucks and such places w/free web access. I was there the other day, man it's so simple............

(yes, I did invade someones privacy :oops:, but just to see if I could before I wrote the first post.)

ken

haha... I used to drop little text documents on people's desktops, letting them know just how easy it was to get to all their files, and they had better give the admin account a password or the next "hacker" might not be so nice.

Hopefully scared a few people into taking it seriously.

flacorps: the problem is a bit vague, there could be many things causing a problem. Wilson had the right idea for the first step, check their site for any firmware updates or updated instructions/FAQ's.