Does HSBC and other banks limit the CC's you get ?

What I am asking is that I want to apply for a Guitar Center CC and they are through HSBC but I already have a Best Buy and BB Master card, Roomstore,and HSBC Mastercard. I guess I'm asking this question because I applied for a Furniture Row CC and I was denied. Now I have never had 30 day lates on any of these CC's and HSBC checks EQ my highest score but I was denied. I have a super clean EQ score with only the Utilization being a little high and no collections or negatives. I was told by the salesman at Furniture Row that it was because I had too many CC's through HSBC and that HSBC saw me as one customer through one bank. Is this the problem ? I guess if I apply and I am denied I can always delete the inquiry in 24 hrs....lol.... Thanks !

Guitar Center HSBC turned me down they said I had too many open accounts but they are counting about 15 school loan accounts. I wonder if I consolidate them if that will change anything ?

when I consolidated my loans, the old TL were not deleted. Only showing as closed, but they are still there and do help with age. YMMV

I'm not sure what the deal is with the number of cards from HSBC one is limited to. I have 2 MasterCards, BestBuy store, and HP HomeStore all with HSBC. They do a lot of auto-denials though. Once you receive the denial letter, call them and they'll verify ID and approve.

Thats a good point ! I called HSBC today and the lady said " your a 1 " which means you have a BK on your CR. I said "No ma'm ! " she said " how old are you and when were you born ? " I told her and she said "hold on." she came back and said " how much did you ask for ? " I told her that it was a CC app and they didn't give me that choice, she put me on hold again. When she came back she said " sorry that was my mistake, you have to many accts even though some are closed and most are school loans but we see you as a risk. " Go figure ! Now when I decided to go and apply at Musicians Friend I noticed the website and app was the same and yes it was HSBC again. I called them first and explained and the lady was real nice. She told me that just because Guitar Center and Furniture Row turned me down that it did not mean that Musicians Friend would. She said each store had their own criteria and all they did was loan the money. I'm just worried about another inquiry and the 24 hr inquiry removal did not work for me this past time :cool:

when I consolidated my loans, the old TL were not deleted. Only showing as closed, but they are still there and do help with age. YMMV
The age of your open accounts is what matters. That is why they say not to close your credit cards even when you don't use them. When you close your accounts, the average age of your tradelines tanks. For some, that can kill their score.

I have 2 HSBC cards and still get offers at least once a week.

The last time I answered one I was turned down because it said "You can not have any more than 2 accounts with us at one time"

They went ahead and did a hard pull from Experian. Anyone think I could ask them to delete the inquiry. How would I go about it?

Thank you EGG !!!!!! I was told too many open accts with HSBC as well. They use to be my best friend but it seems just like the other CC companies they are getting tougher on who they approve and Krash I have 3 Amex CC's and I hate them as well. First they lowered my cl's from $30,000 to what I owed at around $2,500 per CC and their reason " cause we can !" and now even though I paid off both CC's ( ones an Amex Gold that I pay monthly) they are still showing it as a mac out CC on my CR and they are being Arses about showing the zero balance, talk about hurting your credit score....Now I jacked my own thread.........