Im Deceased

cunclusion

I went to the hospital and they asked me if i had sickle cell and I said no then they told me I died 3 months ago, basically didnt really pay much attention since I was having problems breathing. So I went to open an account at my local credit union the lady looked at me got up and said she would be back I later learned that I was reported deceased on my credit report. I contacted the OC and they stated to me that is my SSN and that they couldnt do anything about it. Send in alot of paperwork and maybe they could take it off it makes no sense to me at all.

How is it a collection tactic?

CL

Department store credit departments would do it to someone who had really ticked them off ... the debtor would have to come back to them to get the deceased tag removed from the reporting ... at which point the pressure would be put on the debtor to pay up...

Yes, the FCRA should have put a stop to it all ... but we know it's not 100% on that score...

Oh, it's not nearly as fun as it sounds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23378093/

cunclusion is not the only one to have this happen lately.

I would be sorely tempted to just request a new SS# in that kind of position.

That link is an UGLY read!

You have to feel for people that get brutalized by a "typo" and labeled as "deceased". There needs to be a "Quick Fix" in place for something as idiotic as this!

But if a copmany did that to me intentionally, I would probably try to contact others they have screwed in this manner, get a NACA Attorney and sue their behinds off.

http://www.naca.net/

http://www.consumerprotectionlawfirms.com/

• 2 weeks later...
When you have a deceased reporting it is usually an error on the creditors part. You just need to ask the CRA for the name and address of the creditor reporting deceased and go talk to them to fix the problem.

That makes WAY to much sense and seems to be WAY to easy...

I worked for a credit bureau a few years back and seen this problem happen. When it happened it was a data entry error, that just needed to be updated.

You should not have a problem but if you do you can contact the FTC, attorney general's office for your state. Even the better business bureau can help.

I agree. Many issues that are due to mistakenly reported info by a creditor are most easily corrected by contacting the the reporting party.

Although the CRA's seem to TRY to screw things up. I tried to just get DW's name spelled correctly and TU DELETED the TL!! It's been 4 months and it still isn't re-reporting. But I don't want to thread jack...

• 3 months later...

Well I have been working on Merrick about this issue since I talked to you guys and now in the process of getting all my paper work together with a lawyer. They still think I am dead so will get it cleared then maybe take some money from them in the process. I want to thank you guys for the support and also for the information it all helped I love this site...With you guys help, alot of patience and work...raised my credit scores FICOs from the high 400/low 500 to high 500/low 600 thanks again guys.

Good luck with this matter.

I still think you need to call the credit reporting agency rep and get them to tell you who reported you deceased.

It is one of the companies that reports data, it is specifically the ECOA code, where they would put individual, joint, sometimes they put an X and that means deceased.

Actually talked to someone at Equifax he checked the report then put me on hold for about 10 mins came back said he was sorry and to fax in some information regarding my identity. So I did it early this morning will wait an see and will update on the results.

Equifax told me to fax them the information...Did that on 13 July still no reply....

Snail Mailed Trans Union and Experian same day....

Trans Union---removed the deceased...marked account as responsiblity-Undesignated

Experian-- have not heard anything from them yet either...

Merrick Bank still stating that its my account even though I am not dead and it was under someone elses name

But I will be patient and finish this...

In matters like this you should of called back in as soon as you sent the fax.

You need to call and fax at the same time, when I wanted things done, that is what I did, faxed and waited on the phone while that person got up and checked the fax machine. Then had them fix the problem immediately while still on the phone with them.

If you had to let them go, then you needed to get their name and direct phone number or extension to get back to them directly.

They can rush investigations, if you tell them you are going for a mortgage and to please rush processing they can up the time to just 48 / 78 hours and get back to you with the results. There is rapid re-scoring available now. Before that it use to take 2 weeks, but that was still better then a month.

Now if you don't have that person's name and number, you are just going to have to start over again. Might get a different person, and a different fax number to send to. Be sure to check on that.

Also when you send a fax you can put a cover letter to the attention of such and such person you where talking to.

I would be sorely tempted to just request a new SS# in that kind of position.

I just wanted to address the notion of getting a new social security number.

There is no guarantee that the credit reporting agency would not mix the old and new file by association to matching name and address.

The reporting problems could still be there, and it is something used more often when you are a victim of ID Theft. Where this case is a reporting error by an existing creditor.

Trans Union---removed the deceased...marked account as responsiblity-Undesignated

This was the ECOA code, the credit reporting agency just defaulted it to undesignated since they didn't know if it was joint or individual.

Merrick Bank still stating that its my account even though I am not dead and it was under someone elses name

Can you post what you are talking about, I think some of your story is missing. I know you said you went to the hospital and they told you that you had been reported dead. Where does Merrick Bank comes in? Were they the ones reporting you deseased?

And who is this other person you mentioned. Is there a medical debt on your credit report that is not yours?

The first I found out about the issue was from the hospital when i visited. And they looked at me like they had seen a ghost. After that I was opening up a new account at a local credit union they looked at me the same way then she got a manager who came poked me and said he looks alive to me go ahead and he gave me a copy of my credit report. The medical bill for the dead guy is not on there but a Merrick Bank account is on my credit report stating I am dead I have never had a account with them. So I contacted them advised them who I was and they said it didnt matter if the name was wrong its my account. Plus it goes off in 8 months so I am not trying to fight the actual account just that I am dead. Got turned down for a honda hybrid i wanted to get because im deceased otherwise I am fine.