am i accountable as an authorized user BEFORE marriage?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi! i am a newbie.....i am learning the ropes and i will say that this site is the greatest thing ive have found!

so...i have been divorced for 2 years....my EH and i still have outstanding debt.....

this is a CC account with chase manahttan bank.....the original debt was 5000.00 (which was our limit)...it now sits at 5800.00.....it is no longer accruing interest to my knowledge....it says on my CR that its in 'collection/chargeoff'

..we did a no fault divorce...to get it over quickly...we divided no assets, we didnt really have any to speak of, we still have this CC debt hanging over our heads.....

so heres my question.... i was only an authorized user on this account...am i legally responsible? or does this debt belong to him? we used this money to help with a portion of our wedding reception....

also i am not sure if this falls under the statute of limitations....this debt is from 4/01....i live in PA....the statute states that for an open ended account, such as this.....the limit is 4 years...as it is for all types of accounts in PA.....

is this supposed to be gone by now? we are coming up on 7 years in 2 months...shall i let it go until then? or ....im confused!!!!! please help! thanks in advance.....

****update****

i called the origianl creditor and the collection company and the CRA's ...the collection company called me tonight and told me that they spoke to my EH and he sated that I was 'on' the account......they told me that the only way to determoine that I was ONLY an authorized user, is for HIM to write a letter stating so and have it notarized.....so is it my word against his?....HELP!!!!!!

p.s. one CRA has the account listed for me as 'authorized user' and another has it listed as 'joint acconut'.......

[quote name=glamrgirl513;912359

****update****

i called the origianl creditor and the collection company and the CRA's ...the collection company called me tonight and told me that they spoke to my EH and he sated that I was 'on' the account......they told me that the only way to determoine that I was ONLY an authorized user' date=' is for HIM to write a letter stating so and have it notarized.....so is it my word against his?....HELP!!!!!!

p.s. one CRA has the account listed for me as 'authorized user' and another has it listed as 'joint acconut'.......

:ROFLMAO2: Of course they want to keep you on the account as obviously you are concerned about it, thus you might give them money. In this situation "give" them money is exactly what you would be doing if you pay anything.

Here are the reasons why:

1. According to your post SOL is up.

2. SEven year reporting period is about up.

3. You were a Authorized user not a joint account holder. It is not up to you to prove anything, it is up to them to prove otherwise.

IMO send them a full C&D and wait the short amount of time for it to drop off your report. If they continue to contact you after the C&D, sue them for harassment.

i called the origianl creditor and the collection company and the CRA's ...the collection company called me tonight and told me that they spoke to my EH and he sated that I was 'on' the account......they told me that the only way to determoine that I was ONLY an authorized user, is for HIM to write a letter stating so and have it notarized.....so is it my word against his?....HELP!!!!!!

QUOTE]

I wouldn't believe a collection agency if they said that the sun was going to come up tomorrow. I doubt they spoke to your ex. In any case the SOL for collections is long up and the account is due to drop off your report. I'd dispute it like Roadback says and write them a FOAD letter.

the collection company called me tonight and told me that they spoke to my EH and he sated that I was 'on' the account......they told me that the only way to determoine that I was ONLY an authorized user, is for HIM to write a letter stating so and have it notarized.....so is it my word against his?....HELP!!!!!!

OK. Lets be pragmatic. What the CA is suggesting is the easy way to show the CA that you were only an AU.

Otherwise, all you can do is dig in your feet and repeat the mantra "I was only an AU" over and over. If and when you are sued, then you file an answer to the lawsuit "I was only an AU" file your discovery requests requiring the plaintiff to prove you were more than the AU.

Until then, there is nothing you can do about this problem. Just chill and ride it out. Don't obsess over it.

PS -- even if ex writes that letter -- the creditor may still take the position that you are liable. Do not ignore any summons you receive. It is critical that you file your answer within the allowed time.