Multiple Medical Collections same CA

kleep

I'm working with a friend who had a broken leg issue back in 2005/6. Long story short - couldn't work with injury couldn't pay. After initial cleanup with CRA, there are 4 accounts left all with the same CA. Should we:

1) send one DV letter for all (we never received anything from the CA, last correspondance was from hospital or doctors offices threatening to turn over to a CA)?

2) Or should we send one at a time and if they validate try a PFD (still can't afford all at once)?

3) Or, since they are all still in SOL let sleeping dogs lie for a while longer?

also, is it possible to go back to the OC (the hospital) and try to negotiate? Should we DV before doing this?

I'm working with a friend who had a broken leg issue back in 2005/6. Long story short - couldn't work with injury couldn't pay. After initial cleanup with CRA, there are 4 accounts left all with the same CA. Should we:

1) send one DV letter for all (we never received anything from the CA, last correspondance was from hospital or doctors offices threatening to turn over to a CA)?

2) Or should we send one at a time and if they validate try a PFD (still can't afford all at once)?

3) Or, since they are all still in SOL let sleeping dogs lie for a while longer?

also, is it possible to go back to the OC (the hospital) and try to negotiate? Should we DV before doing this?

Always try to go back and negotiate with the OC if possible. Call and tell them the circumstances and how you would like to clear this up as well as having the negative reporting removed from your CRs. You would be surprised at how helpful they can be when they know there is a valid reason you couldn't pay. If this doesn't work, then send out the DVs.

1) One for each account although they will try to bunch them all into one correspondence. You should be able to get the mailing information off the credit report.

2) If they validate and you are able to afford it, try a PFD otherwise just leave it. There is no benefit to paying a debt to a CA since they will only update the account as a Paid Collection which is no better than Unpaid.

3) That is up to you guys and how bad you want these off your reports. If he is trying to get a mortgage, depending on the amounts and the mortgage company you are dealing with, they may require those debts to be paid before approving your loan. But either way, these will be reported for 7 and a half years if you're ok with that.

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem.... I have 5 medical collections with Central Finance Control.. I sent them a DV letter and disputed with all the CRA's TU Deleted all 5 of them and EX, EQ Verified it.. I sent them a DV follow up letter and no response yet... I need to know should I dispute with EX and TU while I am in the process of sending them the follow up letter...?

But anyway to answer you question.. based off what I have read.. I would dispute with the CRA and send the collection company a DV letter for all the accounts that they have.... thats the way I did it... I hope that answers your question...;)

I am a big believer in the 'Why Chat' strategy to remove medical collections because it cuases them to drop off of your CRA.

Before you decide how to deal with medical collectors go to the following website and read it -- then make your decision how you want to handle medical collections.

http://whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html

To handle it using this method you must pay the bill if you owe it, however, it removes the reporting on your CR

Basic premise -- NEVER contact the CA!

Only deal with the OC. Negotiate if possible, if not work out a payment plan with the OC or find a way to pay in full. Be nice, seek their sympathy, but still firm about your rights.

Once you have paid the OC they are prohibited by health care privacy act (HIPAA) from releasing any information about you without your signed consent and that extends to the CRAs. The OC must contact the CA and pull your file and all information back or it is a violation of state and Federal HIPAA laws.

I had multiple medical collections and this worked for me.