Heading to the courthouse tommorrow to vacate judgement

Scubasteve2365

Hello,

I have a measly $423 dollar judgement against me from the local hospital. Their attorney filed the judgement against me in 2002 and was awarded a default judgement. I was young, ignorant, and was totally unaware of owing the hospital anything. I've only gone to the hospital once in my life. I believe there to have had been a lapse of time between my visit to the hospital and the hospital determining that I owed fees.

Last month I went and filed to vacate the judgement and tomorrow I head to the courthouse. I really have no proof of anything. I'm hoping that they don't show or that they cannot prove the debt.

What sort of laws or guidelines are out there that I can use in my comments to the judge. I plan on being honest but I also want to show that I know they are responsible for proving that I owe the debt. I know the rules on debt validation with a CA but I don't think all of those rules apply to an OC.

Any particular FCRA, FDCPA, or similar laws that I can refer to in case they are unable to provide proof that I owe the debt. I've done things Pro se in the past [traffic, small claims] and have learned that displaying some basic knowledge of law is helpful.

Thanks.

try the lawyer forum. Did you ever get a summons? When was the judgement granted and how many years was that from the hospital visit?

If they sued after SOL (Statute of limitations) you might have a change to fight it, but if you ignored a summons served to you then it might not be possible. I am not a lawyer.