Can you keep CA's from continously pulling your credit?

The thing that irritates me the most i people pulling my credit without my permission. I know why the CA's do it but I still think it is wrong. Is there any way anyone knows of to keep companies, not just the CA's, I also mean those annoying "you are preapproved for a credit card" stuff, from pulling credit when ever they feel like it?

I mean after all it is our credit and we should have more control over it.

You can stop those promotional pulls by opting out using this site: https://www.optoutprescreen.com I did this 6 months ago and it dramatically cut down on the amount of junkmail I get.

If you want to eliminate *all* types of pulls, call each CRA and request that they "freeze" your CR. More info on that can be found here. Keep in mind that this will likely cause more problems than it'll solve if you're in the rebuilding phase of your credit repair process and you freeze all three. However some people (merkur) use freezes strategically to block access to a particular CRA if that score is significantly lower than the other two.

Yes you can unfreeze the report. Once u add the freeze the cra assigns a pin number to u. You provide the pin number to the co or person that needs to pull your report.

Unlike the fraud alert, the cras do not notify each other. you must contact each cra to request a security freeze.

I was able to place the security freeze on my EX file online. Had to mail the request to Transunion. I will keep Equifax open for now.

Here's a link for info. Just use the drop down menu, & pick your state to get more details

http://www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html#state

Did you know that CA's are not suppose to pull your credit? Pintos case shows

that. Also you may place a fraud alert or all three and they cannot get your report unless you apply for credit. Read Pintos. :mrgreen:

Pintos v. Pacific Creditors was about a tow truck place that towed a person's car and then pulled their CR after a dispute over the charges. The ruling set a precedent that someone may not pull a CR unless that transaction was related to the consumer's credit history. Since the tow truck place wasn't in the business of extending credit to people, they had no right to pull CRs.

The case has absolutely nothing to do with collection agencies; they most certainly are allowed to pull your CR.