gac689

Philips and Cohen

Hey all, ok I think I wanna eat some CA guts today!! :) My mom got a call from Timothy Williams asking for my contact information, he said he was from Philips and Cohen but of course refused to tell her why he was calling. He asked her for my number and asked to leave a message. My question is this, I do not live with her, and I have already sent a DV letter along with a cease and desist, to which I have not recieved a response.(it was sent well within the 30 day allowance). I had specifically stated that I needed 30 days from the receipt of their response, but I have not heard a thing. They have all of the contact information they need, as they were calling me directly before my DV and also have my correct address. Have they violated any laws by contacting my mother fishing for info. I know they received the letter cause I sent it certified....can I go after them....pleeeaaaassseee...lol

Hey all, ok I think I wanna eat some CA guts today!! :) My mom got a call from Timothy Williams asking for my contact information, he said he was from Philips and Cohen but of course refused to tell her why he was calling. He asked her for my number and asked to leave a message. My question is this, I do not live with her, and I have already sent a DV letter along with a cease and desist, to which I have not recieved a response.(it was sent well within the 30 day allowance). I had specifically stated that I needed 30 days from the receipt of their response, but I have not heard a thing. They have all of the contact information they need, as they were calling me directly before my DV and also have my correct address. Have they violated any laws by contacting my mother fishing for info. I know they received the letter cause I sent it certified....can I go after them....pleeeaaaassseee...lol

They have not violated from what you have stated. They would violate only if they identified themselves to her as a debt collector or discussed details of the debt. Have your mother send a C&D. Or send one for her. They have your contact info from your DV.

Thaks everyone, yeah I'll write up a little C&D letter for her and another one for myself. I checked with WamU three times yesterday and they don't even have my account information anymore as the debt was actually sold to Philips and Cohen for pennies on the dollar I assume. As today is the 30 day and P&C hav not yet validated the debt ( they signed for my certified request on 2/12/08) I imagine this will go nowhere or they may be very willling to settle, we'll see. Its funny I sent a settlement offer to WamU before it was sold and never got a response....guess no one wants my money.....

Thaks everyone, yeah I'll write up a little C&D letter for her and another one for myself. I checked with WamU three times yesterday and they don't even have my account information anymore as the debt was actually sold to Philips and Cohen for pennies on the dollar I assume. As today is the 30 day and P&C hav not yet validated the debt ( they signed for my certified request on 2/12/08) I imagine this will go nowhere or they may be very willling to settle, we'll see. Its funny I sent a settlement offer to WamU before it was sold and never got a response....guess no one wants my money.....

A C&D from your mother would be alright but I would caution you on sending one yourself. You did not state whether the debt was SOL or not so if you C&D and it is still w/in SOL you next communication may be in the form of a summons.

I had originally C&D 'd them on 2/12/08 with specific instructions not to contact any third party in any way or myself by phone. I left clear and explicit contact information for myself which they signed for. I would welcome a summons as I have clearly tried to communicate with them and they have reefused to do so in a reasonable manner and now are calling my mother who just lost my father last week, identifying themselves as calling from Philips and Cohen. He was careful not to explain why he was calling, but they have no reason to contact any third party concerning this debt, I will gladly show any court that I have not refused to pay, I have simply asked for their proof that the debt is mine and that they have the right to collect. If they do so, then the next communication will be to arrange a settlement offer that I think is fair and not usury in nature. WamU has sold this debt and wants nothing more to do with it.