Anybody else think this is fishy...?

Amerikaner83

howdy y'all - thought I'd float something by everyone here.

I got a letter today from E*Trade Financial....says "Dear Amerikaner83, thank you for your recent E*Trade account application dated Feb 29. We regret that we can not open a new account for you at this time. Please contact ChexSystems....blah blah blah"

The thing is: I never tried to open an account with E*Trade. Never. Not once. Certianly not on the 29th of February.

In and of itself, I'd be a little cautious, so I call E*Trade up and the dude tells me he can't look up my application with my SSN, and wanats to have it. WTF? I call them up about a freaking farudulent attempted account opening, and they want my SSN? I don't plan on ever letting those 9 digits out again! Not that it really matters, but still.

So this isn't the only thing recently...a few months ago I noticed small cahrges from NETZERO that I never authorized, so I got those reversed and taken care of.

Four months ago, i applied for the BofA 99/500 secured card...sent them a check, they said they didn't get it, so please send it again. I changed my mind and did not send anything else, and two months later I notice the check was cashed, and I had the card....

Is it just me, or is something weird going on?

I do plan on getting a new account with BofA and sticking FA's on my reports...maybe even freezing EX and TU (hey, a guy's gotta take advantage)....what do y'all think?

howdy y'all - thought I'd float something by everyone here.

I got a letter today from E*Trade Financial....says "Dear Amerikaner83, thank you for your recent E*Trade account application dated Feb 29. We regret that we can not open a new account for you at this time. Please contact ChexSystems....blah blah blah"

The thing is: I never tried to open an account with E*Trade. Never. Not once. Certianly not on the 29th of February.

In and of itself, I'd be a little cautious, so I call E*Trade up and the dude tells me he can't look up my application with my SSN, and wanats to have it. WTF? I call them up about a freaking farudulent attempted account opening, and they want my SSN? I don't plan on ever letting those 9 digits out again! Not that it really matters, but still.

So this isn't the only thing recently...a few months ago I noticed small cahrges from NETZERO that I never authorized, so I got those reversed and taken care of.

Four months ago, i applied for the BofA 99/500 secured card...sent them a check, they said they didn't get it, so please send it again. I changed my mind and did not send anything else, and two months later I notice the check was cashed, and I had the card....

Is it just me, or is something weird going on?

I do plan on getting a new account with BofA and sticking FA's on my reports...maybe even freezing EX and TU (hey, a guy's gotta take advantage)....what do y'all think?

The BOA thing I could explain as just general stupidity. They misplaced your check, found it and cashed it. I'd be wary about the other two things. It looks like someone might be using your name and info to get up to things.

I like the idea of the FA on all and freezing the two. I've been tempted myself since EQ went to 721 and I already have 7 year FA on my CRs. Especially EX, if they aren't going to actually verify disputes just parrot back any old lie JDB give them and they don't care about complying with the FCRA, then I don't see why they should be allowed to profit from my CR.