Is this a bad time to seek new employment?

mwhizz

Just want to run this by y'all ... been thinking of seeking employment else where (my department is being out sourced to an outside contract). I haven't had any luck at all - put in resumes all over the Dallas area, in response to jobs posted on Career Builder.

Is this a bad time in regards to the economy, to want to change employment???:confused:

Markets aside, I've always been of the opinion that the best time to find a better job is while you're employed. Any other time you're driven by a "take what I can get" imperative.

Job leaping in the I.T. field was great in the 90's, but we had headhunters devoted to us as well then. Don't know much about your industry.

I think it's a issue in the whole job market. Last year (or eariler for that matter) all I had to do was walk in to a shop, plop down my resume and start the next day. I had to beat the pavement for 3 months looking for a new job this time around. When they start calling and checking referances at your current employer (after being told not to unless they made a contingent offer first) the place your working sure works hard to find a reason to dump you first.

I finely went in and got the last of my certifacations and was able to land a job after that. However, in my job field it has gotten VERY hard to find a job. Use to be 1 mechanic to 2 jobs. Now it's about 100 mechanics to a job. I went to apply for a fleet job at a local county (government work.. it's hard to beat) and was told "you can apply, but there are 4561 apps on top of yours.

AKA, your wasting your time.

Hubby has been unemployed for 2 months now. Problem is, every job he can find doesn't make more than the unemployment he is receiving. So when u add in daycare and gas and such...it just doesn't add up. Of course we are in Ohio which is like #7 for unemployment rates right now.

I've been with my current employer for 9 years. Longest ever... and sometimes I think I might like to work somewhere else, but then I wake up to the fact that I'm paid very well, work averages out to about 2 hours a day and I get to do what I want when I want. Not bad... Sometimes I think I want more things and to do that I would need to make more money and to do that I would have to work more, so I decide I don't need those things and carry on with what I've got.

:)

I'm with J on this.

I've been at my job for almost 12 years and for the most part no one really tells me what to do since I've been doing it so long. My own Boss was like "well you can guide me". :lol: The seniority and experience is something many are valued for in jobs.

MWhizz, you should be able to find something. Look in areas that you would not think would need a person doing what you do. Everyone needs someone to help them organize and complete paperwork. I should know, that what I do, I am the District assistant in my company and actually support over 34 locations. I don't have enough time to do everything I do and it's getting to where everyone even my own Boss is saying I need an assistant. :lol: So expand your horizons when looking. You would be surprised how many organizations in different fields have that in common. Someone to do that paperwork, pay bill, complete contracts, answer phones, etc... I once worked for the Archdiocese and they paid well. I would have never really thought to look there and actually was not looking for job when my mom told me about it. Good luck! :)++

I'd also recommend that you try Craigslist. I use it for almost everything nowadays... found my last two jobs there (my current one is amazing), bought a mini fridge and a motorcycle, sold a truck, found someone to help me move, etc... Best part is that's 100% free.

Depends on where and what you do. Philly area is still solid. I'm in big pharma field currently, and I have had two people leave my group in the past 6 months for better jobs and I haven't been able to replace them yet. Just no good applicants out there right now- they are finding better jobs elsewhere I guess.

Then again, loan officers are eating crow. So, it depends on what and where. Good luck!

I would first recommend getting your resume updated by a professional. It is worth EVERY PENNY. Seriously. You don't need a cover letter or anything yet, just get the basic page. I can email you my resume so you can see what I am talking about. I was an admin assistant too.

I was at my previous job and in Dec decided I needed a change, so over Christmas break went and had it done locally. I just did the one that you would send in a email and resumes should never be more than 1 page. This is just to get them interested and they really don't want to read all you have done. They just want to know what you can do for them.

About a month later I got a call from my NEW employer telling me he had an opening for his office manager and asked me to apply. I had my new resume all ready to go! It is true, because I had a job I was in a MUCH better position. When I was at the resume place, the lady told me they get calls all the time from placement agencies looking for people.

Once you get your resume done, go to a placement agency. Many times employers will go through them to save time and money hiring a new person. The jobs are out there you just have to know which stone to look under!

Good luck!

PS

I got a promotion and a huge raise!

It is true, because I had a job I was in a MUCH better position.

That can't be overstated. Especially in this economy where so many people are out looking for work, those that already have a job appear to be much more valuable to potential employers: "hmmm... this person has a job while a lot of people with similar skills don't; she must be better than the other candidates."

I used this strategy to land a *very* nice new job back in January. Among other good things, I am making significantly more money than I used to be. I'm 100% certain that I got the raise I did is because I already had a job.

I never understood why people quit jobs (even horrible ones) before landing another one, even if they can afford to live without a paycheck for a while...

great! I sent you an email ... thanks!

I would first recommend getting your resume updated by a professional. It is worth EVERY PENNY. Seriously. You don't need a cover letter or anything yet, just get the basic page. I can email you my resume so you can see what I am talking about. I was an admin assistant too.

I was at my previous job and in Dec decided I needed a change, so over Christmas break went and had it done locally. I just did the one that you would send in a email and resumes should never be more than 1 page. This is just to get them interested and they really don't want to read all you have done. They just want to know what you can do for them.

About a month later I got a call from my NEW employer telling me he had an opening for his office manager and asked me to apply. I had my new resume all ready to go! It is true, because I had a job I was in a MUCH better position. When I was at the resume place, the lady told me they get calls all the time from placement agencies looking for people.

Once you get your resume done, go to a placement agency. Many times employers will go through them to save time and money hiring a new person. The jobs are out there you just have to know which stone to look under!

Good luck!

PS

I got a promotion and a huge raise!

I am still working, just looking for a better opportunity. I'd never be so foolish as to quit my job without having a new one ... can we say DUMB???:lol:

That can't be overstated. Especially in this economy where so many people are out looking for work, those that already have a job appear to be much more valuable to potential employers: "hmmm... this person has a job while a lot of people with similar skills don't; she must be better than the other candidates."

I used this strategy to land a *very* nice new job back in January. Among other good things, I am making significantly more money than I used to be. I'm 100% certain that I got the raise I did is because I already had a job.

I never understood why people quit jobs (even horrible ones) before landing another one, even if they can afford to live without a paycheck for a while...

I've been semi-actively searching myself for several weeks. Still employed, and expect to be for some time, but longer term I don't see a future where I'm at.

Updated my resume on Monster, and it stirred the pot by getting hits from recruiters. But, thus far, nothing has panned out beyond sending a resume, answering some questions, and then that's it. No interviews, yet.

Trying to probe for internal opportunities within the organization, but nothing has yet materialzied.

Current economic state will likely depress any needed hiring, but in the past I've landed a new gig at a time when no one seemed to be hiring or when it's a time of the year there isn't traditionally much hiring.

Always try to keep an ear and eye open for opportunities. Chatting with fellow commuters on the train I ride in gives me the chance to pick brains on the subjects of where do you work, what do you do, and are they hiring at your place?

I work for a state entity ... tired of all of the red tape and lack of morale. I guess I am ready for a change. I've asked to be promoted at least three times but there is always an excuse and don't see much opportunity for growth. Guess it's time to move on!

Thanks chancy for the resume. I've update mine and now, like someonesomewhere says, it's wait and see. I've already had 2 interviews and am waiting for a response back. I'll follow up today. Wish me luck!