Paid Original Creditor, but CA still sent copies of original bill. Now what?

jodijo1968

Hi! FIRST POST!

Received a CA notice for a medical bill that I knew I owed. I sent the CA debt verification/cease & desist letter (as a delay tactic to keep them from calling, I guess). I also received my tax refund and used most of the money to pay several original creditors directly and in full for additional medical bills, including the one placed with the CA.

Today, I received response from CA with partial "verification" (they sent me a "Debt Inquiry" and an itemized copy of the original creditor's bill). It did not verify whether they are licensed to collect in my state, provide me with their license numbers and Registered Agent, nor provide me with copies of any papers which show I agreed to pay what they say I owe.

My check paid to the original creditor has already cleared my bank and the account now has a $0 balance. I have already made copies of the front and back of the cleared check as proof and am prepared to send a second dispute letter to the CA.

My concern is that the CA will place a negative "PAID" status on my credit record. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is there specific wording I need to include in my dispute letter?

Thank you so very much for any and all help.

Jocelyn

Hi! FIRST POST!

Received a CA notice for a medical bill that I knew I owed. I sent the CA debt verification/cease & desist letter (as a delay tactic to keep them from calling, I guess). I also received my tax refund and used most of the money to pay several original creditors directly and in full for additional medical bills, including the one placed with the CA.

Today, I received response from CA with partial "verification" (they sent me a "Debt Inquiry" and an itemized copy of the original creditor's bill). It did not verify whether they are licensed to collect in my state, provide me with their license numbers and Registered Agent, nor provide me with copies of any papers which show I agreed to pay what they say I owe.

My check paid to the original creditor has already cleared my bank and the account now has a $0 balance. I have already made copies of the front and back of the cleared check as proof and am prepared to send a second dispute letter to the CA.

My concern is that the CA will place a negative "PAID" status on my credit record. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is there specific wording I need to include in my dispute letter?

Thank you so very much for any and all help.

Jocelyn

Most medical debts are assigned to CA's and not sold. Contact the OC and request they instruct the CA to delete the TL. If they will not then wait 90 days and dispute the TL with the CRA's as "paid before collection".

Also, CA's in TX do not have to be registered but the must post a bond with the TX SOS. Here's the website for bonding info:

http://direct.sos.state.tx.us/debtcollectors/DCSearch.asp

Since you are in TX you have some additional state laws that work in your favor. Take some time to read thru the FDCPA and FCRA found in the links at the top of the page as well as the stickies in the Collection and credit repair forums. Also, read Chap 392 of the TX Finance Code:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/FI/content/htm/fi.005.00.000392.00.htm

Good Luck!