Need help with Collection Agency - HELP!

pierss08

Ok, so this little collection agency refuses to do a PFD, and says its "against their contract with Transunion"

The account is now with an attorney and the CA is referring me to the attorney and refuses to discuss payments or anything with me. The attorney is not reporting the debt, although the CA is continuing to report it even though they say they are not handling it anymore...

My question is: Based on the fact that they are not "handling" the account anymore and refuse to do so, should they still be reporting it every month as if they are handling it?

Secondly, can anyone shed any light on their claims that they refuse to do a PFD because it is against their contract with Transunion??

Should I just begin disputing the Hell out of the debt until they figure it isn't worth their time anymore??

Thanks everyone!!!

It probably is against their contract/agreement with Transunion. However, I doubt their lack of cooperation has anyting to do with their moral fortitude and keeping their end of their contract with Transunion.

I would suggest that the amount you owe is either so small they simply aren't willing to do it (meaning their "greed" level hasn't been reached yet) or, if they really are getting ready to sue you maybe they really don't want to get involved/make any changes/work with you at this point.

CAs do PFDs only because of their greed meaning they want your money more than they want to keep reporting to the bureaus but it's got to be enough money for them to get greedy enough to do it.

It probably is against their contract/agreement with Transunion. However, I doubt their lack of cooperation has anyting to do with their moral fortitude and keeping their end of their contract with Transunion.

I would suggest that the amount you owe is either so small they simply aren't willing to do it (meaning their "greed" level hasn't been reached yet) or, if they really are getting ready to sue you maybe they really don't want to get involved/make any changes/work with you at this point.

CAs do PFDs only because of their greed meaning they want your money more than they want to keep reporting to the bureaus but it's got to be enough money for them to get greedy enough to do it.

Yeah - its only like $350 bucks...... So, do I just dispute it over and over again until they get so sick of me they delete it???

It's your time and effort to spend.

Keep in mind that "reporting" is totally automatic/electronic so it's ZERO trouble for them to report forever.

Also keep in mind that you only have real leverage in getting something removed from your bureau reports if there is something inaccurate with the informaton being reported and/or if they violate the law AND you are willing to go forward with a suit (or they think you are) - if the information reported is accurate they have the right to report it (which, frankly, is how it supposed to be).

It's your time and effort to spend.

Keep in mind that "reporting" is totally automatic/electronic so it's ZERO trouble for them to report forever.

Also keep in mind that you only have real leverage in getting something removed from your bureau reports if there is something inaccurate with the informaton being reported and/or if they violate the law AND you are willing to go forward with a suit (or they think you are) - if the information reported is accurate they have the right to report it (which, frankly, is how it supposed to be).

Thanks for your responses!! My one question though is this: If they say they do not "handle" the debt anymore, why are they reporting on it every month?

There is no way to know.

You are talking to some mindless automaton at a collection agency – maybe the responsibility for he account has been given to their “pre-legal” depart (which might be a real department or it could be the mindless automaton in the next cubicle)…point is, “handled” by someone else could mean almost anything and there is no way to know, based on that statement, whether they should or shouldn’t be reporting on the debt.

Keep in mind; however, that most CAs don’t report on accounts they aren’t responsible for and if they do, it’s as likely to be a simple error/incompetence as an act of malice.

There is no way to know.

You are talking to some mindless automaton at a collection agency – maybe the responsibility for he account has been given to their “pre-legal” depart (which might be a real department or it could be the mindless automaton in the next cubicle)…point is, “handled” by someone else could mean almost anything and there is no way to know, based on that statement, whether they should or shouldn’t be reporting on the debt.

Keep in mind; however, that most CAs don’t report on accounts they aren’t responsible for and if they do, it’s as likely to be a simple error/incompetence as an act of malice.

If they are no longer handling the debt then they have no right to report. Only the OC has that right even if they sell it to a JDB. Did the CA(JDB??) sell it off to another CA(JDB)? If they don't have it anymore then dispute it. If they verify a debt that they no longer own or the right to collect=violation.

On a side note: If a PFD will not fly then try for a non-disclosure agreement(NDA). You pay and they agree not to verify if you dispute. If they verify then they have violated and can be sued for the violation.

Ok, here is one for you guys along the same lines. I have a judgment and CA reporting the same account. The judgment has already been settled Via BK. Although they are settled and showing paid or discharged in BK, the CA still continues to report when disputed. Can they do that especially when it was in BK?