lolah

Wine For Dummies?

I have tried a few cheap wines and hated them. I don't want to spend too much on wine. What is a good, middle of the road wine?

I don't know much about it...so not sure if I like it sweet, dry, etc...

Help! :confused:

My suggestion would be to start with the "Kool-aid" wines....things like "Wild Vines" Merlot. You'll find Peach Chardonay and Tropical Fruit in the same area (not sure if those are Wild Vines or somebody else).

You need to determine what your tastes are...Blue Nun? Cheap and drinkable. Lambursco? Italian...sometimes pleasant, sometimes not. Mogen David...usually very, very sweet. Beleive it or not, Iowa produces some very nice stuff..."Behind the Shed Red"..."Bicycle white".

You need to try some things and see what you like.

Frankly, I've had some "snooty" wine that a friend paid $75 a bottle for that I thought tasted like turpentine mixed with coal oil.

I'm a big fan (biased of course) of WA State wines...

"Chateau Ste Michele" has some great ones, priced less than 20 bucks a bottle...pretty good.

YellowTail is pretty good, but not a WA State wine...

Chateau Ste Michele has some pretty good Reislings and Gerwurztraminer (sp). I also like the Williamette Valley Pinot Noir. I know that's not WA, but OR is the same general area.

YELLOWTAIL SHIRAZ!!!!!!!!!!

Australian, moderate price...delicious red table wine.

Now hurry up and love it before others here scare you out of it!

My taste is very mainstream.

There's also Rosemount Estates and Jacob's Creek Shiraz or Shiraz mixtures (with Grenache or Cabernet) that are pretty good and pretty cheap. Here in PA (land of costly booze) they're around $8-12 per bottle.

Thanks Mags - that's the term i was looking for - RIESLING!

I love rieslings! Tha'ts the best type of White wines I've ever had :p

If you like Rieslings, try Gewurztraminer. They're very similar. Also, Viognier are pretty good, as well, they're a bit lighter and fruitier (to me). Rieslings and Gewurz seem thicker.

My roommate and I drink True Earth. It's an organic wine, and it's a blend of a merlot, cabernet, and petite. It's sooooo good, and it's only $12.99 at HEB! I'm not a big wine drinker, but I could drink one of these bottles at least 2-3 times a week. :)

How about trying a white Zinfindal? Actually they are mostly on the pink blush side in color. Very light taste, easy to drink. That's why I have to be careful... taste so good you'll finish a bottle before you know it!

Ha ha ha....you sound like me. When I was first trying out wines, I found white Zinfandel. At first, I had to get used to it. Now, I have to stay away from it and buy less sweet wines, otherwise I'll drink too fast :oops:

I'm not a red drinker, but I had one Shiraz (or Shirah) that was lovely. Not too tart, nor too sharp, but somewhat sweet and very smooth. I liked the sweet aspect of it. But don't know who made it. Anyone know of a Shiraz like that?

when I started getting into wine my palate cringed and puckered at the site of red wine--now it's my favorite. I started with George Debouff, it's a very sweet red wine but is seasonal. I believe it goes to market at the beginning of fall, but correct me if I'm wrong.