OK, now what?

Kari

Just last week, my husband and I decided to get our credit straightened out by paying off our bills that are in the CR's with our income tax refund. Great idea, right? The problem is, the IRS rejected our e-file because 'someone has claimed me or my spouse as a dependant on another tax refund.' I called the IRS immediately. They said it could be a glitch or identy theft. They will not release any info to me. They would not even tell me if it was my husband SS # or mine that was used. They said that I need to print my return and mail it. No problem. But, at the end of the year, I will have to prove my identy to them. Dealing with that issue is Ok, but I don't know whether I should report this to anyone, because it could be a glitch in their system. The girl I spoke to at the IRS specifically told me not to report this to our local police but if I felt I should do anything, I should call the Fair Trade Commision. I haven't done anything yet, but I feel I shoud do something to protect my family. I feel like a dope calling anyone when I can't even tell them whos credit might be at stake. What in the world do I do???

I visited the IRS website and searched the word 'ombudsman.' Didn't really get anywhere because I dont know what exactly I am looking for. Thought I would post this, though, for all to see.

Frequently Asked Tax Questions And Answers

Keyword: Fraud

1.13 IRS Procedures: Reporting Fraud

What can I do if I think someone has filed a tax return using my social security number?

The IRS has security measures in place to verify the accuracy of tax returns and the validity of social security numbers submitted. However, if you receive a notice from IRS that leads you to believe someone may have used your social security number fraudulently, please notify IRS immediately by responding to the name and number printed on the notice or letter.

You can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline at (877) 438-4338 if you suspect someone else is using your social security number, or to secure information on how to prevent identity theft.

It's not much help, but it's a start, I guess.