Untimely Validation in Hope of Repair

DenverGirl

I have (2) unpaid medical bills with CA's that show on my credit reports.

While I believe the OC debts to be valid - how can I be sure the CA's reporting are the actual owners of the debt today?

I did receive written correspondence more than a year ago from them, but at that time I did not have the ability to pay, and was not aware I should dispute the debt - so I did nothing.

I do have the ability to pay today, and want to get my record cleaned up so I can purchase a home.

I have read other posts, sample letters etc., but what I don't see is even if the CA can prove they purchased the debt from the OC - how do I know they STILL own it, and have not sold it to a JDB?

Since I took no action during the first 30 days - am I out of luck? I would like to send of proper letters today, and if I am confident the CA's own the debt and my payment in full will satisfy it - I want to pay upon delete.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Welcome...

Best advice is to start with the original creditor. Call and give them the "oh gee...forgot all about this...dumb me...and after you took such good care of me...can I send you a check?...and, oh, by the way, can you call off the CAs?"

Realize that CAs don't buy debts. They just contract with the OC to do the hassling for them.

It is possible that the OC did sell the debt to a "junk debt buyer"...and the JDB hired a CA to hassle you...but, depending on how old this really is, chances are the OC still owns it.

Good morning!

The companies listed on my credit report are West Asset Management and NCO. How can I tell if they are a JDB or CA?

I have not had any recent contact from them, but I moved and don't think they have my current address.

Regarding contacting the OC - my understanding from reading some posts here is that if they charged off the debt, they can't legally collect it anymore.

Am I mistaken...am I missing a piece of information? The actual debts are more than (2) years old.

Good morning!

The companies listed on my credit report are West Asset Management and NCO. How can I tell if they are a JDB or CA?

I have not had any recent contact from them, but I moved and don't think they have my current address.

Regarding contacting the OC - my understanding from reading some posts here is that if they charged off the debt, they can't legally collect it anymore.

Am I mistaken...am I missing a piece of information? The actual debts are more than (2) years old.

Yes, you are mistaken.

A debt being charged off is an accounting entry - nothing more...it has zero impact on the existance of the debt or the debt owner's (whether the debt owner is the original owner or a subsequent owner/JDB) ability to enforece its rights to collect.

Rather then worrying about whether the tradelines are from a CA or JDB at this pint, I'd follow the advice given earlier and contact the original creditor/medical provider and simply ask them if you can pay them and at the same time, get them to "call off" the CA. If the original creditor no longer owns then debt they'll tell you (since that means that they can't legally accept payment for a debt they no longer own the rights to).

After you find out that pieve of

No...not true. Charge off is just an accounting term which has no bearing on who can collect the debt. Sometimes an original creditor will "write off" a debt as uncollectable and clear it from their books entirely, but (although the terms are used interchangably) that's not the same as "charge off". Sometimes medical groups do sell debts, but, that doesn't happen all the time.

Anyway...the best way to find out is call the OC. Depending on whether you're talking about a doctor's office with a "I'M IN CHARGE" office manager, or a large hospital, you may have to work your way by the initial phone call to get answers, but that's the place to start.

Thank you both!

I will contact the OC for both of these bills.

If the OC's accept payment from me for these debts - what is my risk that the CA's continue to report?

Do I have any leverage to get them to remove the CA tradelines from my report?

I have one other medical debt that was in collection, but was settled with a negotiated payment when I received a settlement for the accident that brought this all about. That is still showing negative and unpaid on my credit report, so I am concerned the wrong party was paid and don't want this to happen again.

:roll:

Once you've paid the OC, the CA no longer has any reason to report. So, as soon as your check clears, dispute the CA's TL with the CRAs. If it comes back "verified", send an "intent to sue" (ITS) letter to the CA pointing out that to the best of your knowledge, you've never done business with them, and to either remove themselves from your credit reports or be prepared to defend themselves in court.

As for the one you've already paid...try disputing that one now. If its the CA reporting and you paid them, you might get lucky and they won't respond (which means the CRA will remove it).

I got one paid today - to the OC.

So I should wait until I have my receipt and then dispute the CA tradeline for that debt? What reason should I give for the dispute?

I am going to try the other one tomorrow and try a pay for delete with them - is that a good approach?

Thank you!

DenverGirl