Unique MGMT - no collection activity???

I DV'd a collection from Unique MGMT on behalf of the local library.

They sent back a letter and account history from the library stating that in June of 2002 I had several outstanding books and the amount due was $303.02 and either payment was due, or books needed to be returned.

First request sent June 27th, 2002, second on July 18, 2002.

I returned all past due materials on August 8, September 19 and October 17 of 2002.

Apparently the debt was decreased for the book costs but still had a balance due of $52. This is what Unique has been reporting.

I contacted the library and explained I had no knowledge of the $52 balance, which is true. I gave a sob story and offered a PFD but they contacted Unique and said they were sorry but Unique would only update as paid.

I went ahead and paid it, I'd rather have it updated and add my own comments. Plus it's only going to be reported for another year.

However, is there ANY thing I contact Unique with, they did not attempt to contact AT ALL in 6 years.

Any advice??? :)

They are not required to chase you down. They may have tried and not been successful.

You paid it. That was the right thing to do.

I can't see that you have any recourse.

Since you've paid it, they may not waste any more efforts to verify. Wait 90-120 days and dispute with the CRA's.

NASCAR is right. Unique was stubborn w/ me but eventually went away. EQ deleted them immediately based on a dispute. Took about four months to get them off TU and EXP with a DV. I don't think they had as much documentation for me as they did in your case. But nonetheless, they were stubborn. Now that you've paid, dispute in a few months ... esp. if Unique stops reporting.