here's a new one on ID theft

gypsie

A friend of mine, sold her car 4 years ago to someone that lives out of town. She forgot about the tag and left it on the car.

Somehow, the person who bought her car, purchased another tag in my friend's name the following year. That person has been purchasing tags every year in my friend's name since purchasing the car.

That person received a speeding ticket last month and my friend was contacted by the police for that out of town county regarding the ticket.

It seems that person now has an ID/ Driver's license in my friend's name!

Wow, now that could be a nightmare.

I knew a girl in St Louis with that problem. She lost her license at a bar one night. Months later started getting tickets and court dates in the mail, warrants for her arrest, etc. She was able to go down to the police station (a county away) and have them pull up all the tickets which showed somebody else's tags, etc. It was a total mess. The one thing that saved her was that one of the officers that wrote a couple of the tickets remembered the instance and knew that it was not her he pulled over. They eventually caught the impersonator because they knew her tag number and caught her during a DUI stop.

Even then it took forever to get everything cleared up with the courts. Government wheels move slowly.