please take out time to reply

seenohope

:cry: i feel very hopeless about my situation. I took out loans for school and after completing my education i developed cancer that spread to my bones. after doing much research and seeing some blogs it seems that getting a loan discharge is quite impossible with some people siting cancer patients getting rejected (that you have to be in hospice) others who work on the guarantor side saying they would even approve christopher reeves when he was alive. I haven't applied yet, im not in a wheel chair yet but i can't work and im incurable i can't stand or sit only for short lengths of time and i am in constant pain from the on going meds as well as what the illness has done to my body. They say i can live for maybe even 10 years max i don't know what to do and im so terrified. I rely on my spouse and family. I don't want my loans to be their problem (frankly my spouse has been through so much already emotionally, financially and on top of everything is also paying back their own student loan - how much can a relationship take)..please if anybody has any sound advice how to proceed it would be like a billion weights off my shoulders all this worry just makes me feel sicker

Talk to your lender about getting a Forbearance. This will at least put off the payments until you can do further research. Also, have you been officially declared as disabled? You may want to look into that with the Social Security Administration or other authorities.

I found this on the web. It's similar to your situation:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080316101706AAcEQEV

thank you so much for your response but i hate to say that im already in the forbearence phase and only have about a year left that they allow (ive seen the answer.yahoo and actually tried to email that person to gain more insight on if the person had similar illness or if the state of my illness would qualify for discharge the loan disability discharge is what i hear is next to impossible to get) thats why i feel so deperate and confused my i feel that im one step away from my hell being more hellish (if that is at all possible - hey when your in your 30's and have cancer that spread to bone anything is possible) so if any one could add or shed light to my situation please please do not hesitate with any assistance...i really need some hope:confused:

Have you been declared legally disabled? Did you then tell this to your lender?

I believe these are valuable steps that can't be ignored. After all, just being ill is not a reason to forgive a debt. But if you are legally disabled, then you have a valid reason for forgiveness.

I know what is happening to you is awful. But if you read the other post from Yahoo, it's the same advice. You have to be declared disabled first.

thank you so much for your advice. no i have not gone to declare disability (frankly I been trying to fight off my cancer this whole time that jumping to social sec and declaring myself disable wasn't something in my thought process...i just wanted to get better and still do...all in all i guess it is something i need to do at this point....i know that the dep of education when reviewing disability discharge has a more rigorous guideline as to being permanently disabled...so i was just thinking what is the purpose of declaring yourself disable thru the state/gov except if your saying to get assistance (thus far my whole family has been helping me thru my stuggles...which had been further strained by the fact the my mother had had cancer at the same time as me and had sadly lost her struggle a little over a year ago) or in addition are you saying that declaring myself disabled to the state/gov is just further attestment thru documentation that i am truly disabled?? well i want you to know that all your help is greatly appreciated and that i have know doubt that the fact that you cared enough to help out a stranger makes me want to hold on to whatever hope i have...again thank you

:cry: i feel very hopeless about my situation. I took out loans for school and after completing my education i developed cancer that spread to my bones. after doing much research and seeing some blogs it seems that getting a loan discharge is quite impossible with some people siting cancer patients getting rejected (that you have to be in hospice) others who work on the guarantor side saying they would even approve christopher reeves when he was alive. I haven't applied yet, im not in a wheel chair yet but i can't work and im incurable i can't stand or sit only for short lengths of time and i am in constant pain from the on going meds as well as what the illness has done to my body. They say i can live for maybe even 10 years max i don't know what to do and im so terrified. I rely on my spouse and family. I don't want my loans to be their problem (frankly my spouse has been through so much already emotionally, financially and on top of everything is also paying back their own student loan - how much can a relationship take)..please if anybody has any sound advice how to proceed it would be like a billion weights off my shoulders all this worry just makes me feel sicker

I HOPE this helps. I believe you can have your SL discharged if your are totally disabled. I am a nurse and I have a SL. If I were you I get the SL discharged due to your illness now. The SL will be gone forever, and what if you went into remission, you would have to pay off a SL for a long long time. I dont want to sound mean but take this opportunity to get rid of a burden of a SL loan while you can. GOD BLESS.

Your federal student loans can be discharged if your doctor certifies that you are totally and permanently disabled, meaning that you can't work in any capacity (even on a limited basis), and the condition is not expected to improve.

Whether or not your are "declared disabled" for social security means absolutely nothing; ED has their own definition and I gave it in the paragraph above.

You and your doctor need to complete this form.

Please note: private loans are not eligible for this discharge.

Good luck