Paying by Check (I know, I know)?

crabby_appleton

I have a question about paying a settlement (which is in writing) to a CA by check. I know the standard line is--DON'T, but I'm wondering if it would be OK in my specific situation. This is the only outstanding debt I have. The check would be written from my husband's checking account, and he has a different last name than I do (my name isn't on the account, either). I don't see how having his account info could help them in any way, or hurt me. We're not in a community property state. A money order would be a pain for us in the time frame I have to work with since the bank in question is in another state (we've recently moved). Any opinions?

A money order would be a pain for us in the time frame I have to work with since the bank in question is in another state (we've recently moved).

Wal-Mart has money orders for 46 cents. The post office has them for under a couple of bucks I think.

Does it *really* have to be a check from your checking account? What about a cashier's check? They are more expensive but at least it would be from your bank and not your actual account.

I hope your getting something out of paying them. A PFD or something!

You guys are grown-ups and certainly can make your own decisions; I can only tell you that I would never pay a third-party collector with a personal check under ANY circumstances. PERIOD.

I'm sure whatever debt you are paying has been around a while - if getting a money order is going to take a little longer trust me when I say that this CA and this debt will still be there.

Third party collectors lie, abuse, threaten, manipulate and generally screw with people as a way of life – do you really want to give these kinds of people knowledge of your personal bank account (no matter who’s name is on it)?

If this CA is putting pressure on you to do it their way (you've got to pay by Friday or I can't hold the account on my desk" and other such nonsense), the more I can abaolutely guarantee you that you are dealing with a bottom of the barrell CA who has, is, and will continue to lie to you.

If this is simply a matter of convenienve for you...well...do what you want...it will probably be Ok but I wouldn't do it - ever!

Wal-Mart has money orders for 46 cents. The post office has them for under a couple of bucks I think.

Does it *really* have to be a check from your checking account? What about a cashier's check? They are more expensive but at least it would be from your bank and not your actual account.

I hope your getting something out of paying them. A PFD or something!

The last time I bought a MO at the post office it was around 75 cents and that was in the last two years or so.

Thanks for the replies. The issue is not the cost of the money order, it's getting the money for the payment from an out of state bank. It's not a huge deal, just an inconvenience. So what could they do with my husband's banking information? They surely can't take out more money from his account than the check amount. And they wouldn't have any standing to find out the balance, etc. Am I wrong?

As for the "deadline", the situation is basically that I'd been planning to settle, the JDB sent me an offer that I think is fair (w/ regards to how much I owed the OC, anyway) and can pay, and I'd like to take advantage and have no more dealings with them. The offer specifically states that the account will be "paid in full" with this amount. I'm sure they'd take the same amount after their silly deadline, but this keeps it lower stress for me. I have two in diapers, so low stress is hugely important.

And for the record, the JDB (Midland) did validate.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the responses.

Thanks for the replies. The issue is not the cost of the money order, it's getting the money for the payment from an out of state bank. It's not a huge deal, just an inconvenience. So what could they do with my husband's banking information? They surely can't take out more money from his account than the check amount. And they wouldn't have any standing to find out the balance, etc. Am I wrong?

As for the "deadline", the situation is basically that I'd been planning to settle, the JDB sent me an offer that I think is fair (w/ regards to how much I owed the OC, anyway) and can pay, and I'd like to take advantage and have no more dealings with them. The offer specifically states that the account will be "paid in full" with this amount. I'm sure they'd take the same amount after their silly deadline, but this keeps it lower stress for me. I have two in diapers, so low stress is hugely important.

And for the record, the JDB (Midland) did validate.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the responses.

I'll make one last stab at this...

First of all, you don't have to buy a money order from you bank...they are widely available or you could arrange to wire the money...point is there are ways to pay without revealing your banking information.

Second of all, you are dealing with a group of people that LIE...they are one step above (and sometimes below) common criminals; they just happen to have a business license (if you are lucky)...would you want to give your bank account information to a criminal?

Yes you are wrong...because you are dealing with true SCUM (hope I'm not being ulclear here) they can, will, have and do clean out checking accounts, and take more then the face value of the checks - while you may prevail in count months or years later; good luck getting any of it back if they take it.

I'm not even going to touch the fact that this is a JDB.

Do what you want but if you are going to do what you alredy know everyone here would tell you not to do, why ask the question???

Well, I asked the question because I was hoping to get specific information about what could happen if I used a check. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

I guess it's naive of me to expect these businesses to conform to the law. To me it seems that it would behoove the larger, publicly traded agencies to do so, but I readily admit I'm no expert. This is my only experience with a collection agency/JDB. And also, my impression from reading posts on this forum is that Midland in particular cares about their public image, responds to BBB complaints, etc.

Well, I asked the question because I was hoping to get specific information about what could happen if I used a check. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

I guess it's naive of me to expect these businesses to conform to the law. To me it seems that it would behoove the larger, publicly traded agencies to do so, but I readily admit I'm no expert. This is my only experience with a collection agency/JDB. And also, my impression from reading posts on this forum is that Midland in particular cares about their public image, responds to BBB complaints, etc.

It's common for people who haven't had to deal with CAs/JDBs to not understant the nature of the people/businesses/industry they are dealing with.

You cannot approach these people as if they are legitimate businesses who will try to follow the law - they do not.

There are some good collection agencies out there (usually small, privately owned businesses who operate in one town/city/area) - those do often try to do a good job, treat people fairly and obey the law.

But, for every one like that, there are a thousand who are truely scumm and who will do or say anything to manipulate a consumer into doing incredibly stupid things with their money - they see people only as a target...an enemy...from whom they hope to get some money.

If I told you some of the thigns I have personal knowldege of that some collectors have done you would never believe me and frankly, I wouldn't believe me either if I didn't know it was true.

Don't trust them and absolutely don't send them a DIME to settle this debt (whether by check or by other means) unless you have an signed agreement in your hand that says your payment will settle the debt in full and that they can NEVER come after you for the difference EVER.