Lyssarene

Paper investment club?

Anyone interested in starting one here - say pick 3 stocks individually, use an even amount like $1000 fake money and post our results up on a weekly basis wins/losses--- discuss why's, how's etc so we can all learn more on investing as we use real money?

Just a thought - seems there is a lot of knowledge here to be shared. Kinda like the CIC biggest loser but CIC biggest winner :)

We won't laugh - we will feel the pain right with you.

We can do real money or paper as well I guess... although much of my real is currently going into a total back yard/outdoor remodel

I want to play too! :)++

Well, let's see, my ytd return on my 401k investments is -7.35%. In essence, I've lost nearly every penny I've contributed since January of this year (ytd contribution $688.80, ytd loss $594.77). It's a good thing I've got another 45 years until I retire!

I'll be watching to see how y'all do...watching from a distance that is! I don't think I have the nerves to get involved with investments outside of my bleeding 401k.

looksbothways - that is the point though --- you can just pick a few stocks, not actually invest the money but for example use $500 play money - then track how well you did in picking you stock on a week to week basis. A learning experience to discuss as it goes along.

I would rather not discuss my poor 401K... <sigh> mine is at -6.9% but that means everything i am buying I am getting on sale, so in time it will increase.

looksbothways - that is the point though --- you can just pick a few stocks, not actually invest the money but for example use $500 play money - then track how well you did in picking you stock on a week to week basis. A learning experience to discuss as it goes along.

I would rather not discuss my poor 401K... <sigh> mine is at -6.9% but that means everything i am buying I am getting on sale, so in time it will increase.

Yeah, that's my working theory too. I said I have 45 years until retirement, but I'm math retarded today...I actually have 35 years until retirement. Regardless, that's a long time for the stocks to rebound. It's just depressing at the moment because I'm basically pouring money into a sieve and watching it fall right back out.

I guess I'd be cool using play money. I don't know a thing about investing outside the 401k, not even where to start, but not like I'll end up homeless over losing imaginary money! So when do we start, and how's it gonna proceed?

If this is going to be a hypothetical account, I would suggest at least a $10,000 beginning account. If it is re

Also, I am a quick trader, meaning I get in and out most of the time after I get a satisfying return. I also do not necessarily stay fully invested at all times. A good example of this is the banking industry getting hammered one day and then rebounding the next few days afterward.

My suggestion:

To keep track of individual accounts everyone would need to establish their intial account. When you want to update the account, or make a trade in the account, use the reply with quote function for their account.

Also, when trading it would be absolutely necessary to update the thread as soon as possible. (It is just too easy for some to say the bought XYZ sock yesterday at $10.00 per share after they picked up the newspaper and saw that XYZ doubled in price. Threads are time stamped, so they can possibly be verified, should it be necessary.

Sometimes stocks "gap" at the opening, (such as Bear Stearns the other day), and these trades would need to be verified by time stampsas well. Hopefully, everyone would just stay on the up and up, and be honest though.

That looks real cool to me. It gives us $100,000 to play with and will keep track of the account too. Let's say we all get started April 1.

That will give us time to gather more people as well as time for some to get acquainted to how we get to spend the $100,000. Bigger starting balance can mean more stocks to pick for diversification.

I'm in.

I am game whatever way we do it -- I was thinking of it more of fun and learning. I am stock stupid and WANT to learn!!! I know there are a lot here with more knowledge and some with less but wanting to learn as well. So I proposed it as a way for us all to learn from each other and in a fun sense.

If someone wants to take the challenge and make rules, go for it :) I do like the idea of the website keeping track and then we could just c&p it to a post like we do our FICO scores.

April 1 sounds like a good plan to get registered by, not sure about by buying stocks by then though.

I just created my account, but I'm not sure if people can view the profiles of other people there; at any rate I'm ChesterPoindexter. I have nothing in my account yet.

Someone needs to join and create a game. Here's a link: http://simulator.investopedia.com/Games/CreateGame.aspx I'm not sure if you have to be signed in with an account to view that link. It took about 30 seconds or less to set up an account. All you need is an e-mail account, make up a password, and say no to all the subscriptions they try to sign you up for (I actually said yes to a few of them.) That's it.

I had to join a game (I'm sure I don't really have to participate) in order to register so I just joined the default game. There was also a question, "Are you responding to an invitation to join a game?" Someone needs to set that up. I don't want to take that responsibility away from Lyssarene, or whoever had the idea to set up an Investopedia game. There was also a choice for public or private game. I guess it would be private, so it's just us and not any old schmoe wandering in off the street.

See you guys there!

p.s. Oh yeah, the link to sign up is the one "look both ways" posted. Here it is again: http://simulator.investopedia.com/

Not taking it from me!! -- i don't want full responsibility!!!! Anyone can jump up and take charge

I did register and also set up a game, you can do a search it is listed as

C Infocenter

or by creator which is me, Lyssarene

I did make it private based on the suggestion. Not sure if I did it right but we can make adjustments as we go I guess. :)

Sounds good to me - I'm on there as well now - same username :p

There are currently 3 "players" in this game...need to do some research and see what's up with this whole thing how it works...

OK, I joined. I don't understand why I can't see the other members of the game, though. I am only learning my way around Investopedia.

Daveyzzz joined, too, and he's setting up trades right now. It might be that you aren't "visible" till you have a portfolio. I don't know.

I went ahead and placed an order.. i think we will show up after we start making trades, I assume it can't rank you until then -- I don't show any other players in there yet though... hmmmm

in looking again it shows it public... does it matter?

OK, I see the group profile now by searching for the name and choosing "details." It is now set as start date of today, so if you want to wait, you might have to change that, if possible. I know that Daveyzzz just put in trades and it sounds like Amerikaner did too. Could we just start on Monday when the market opens? You could put in trades anytime between now and then and the game would start when the market opens. It's up to you, though, Lyssarene!

I still don't understand the game, since I don't see any players' names. I will learn how it works, though.

Number of players 4

Group Manager Lyssarene

Access Public

Accounts margin+short

Starting capital 100000

Currency(ies) USD

Starting date 3/22/2008

End date No End Date

Allow late entry Yes

Market Order Delay 20

Long Margin Rate 0.5

Quick Sell 1