Lyssarene

Paper investment club?

Yes, I joined one of the huge games they offer you (when I signed up it said I had to join one game) and I can see rankings and players there.

I don't get it!

Lyssarene, since you created it, would you go back and double-check that everything's set up to allow people to join and be displayed, etc? Maybe you have a little control panel for the game that we can't see. That's the only thing I can think of.

Yes, I joined one of the huge games they offer you (when I signed up it said I had to join one game) and I can see rankings and players there.

I don't get it!

Lyssarene, since you created it, would you go back and double-check that everything's set up to allow people to join and be displayed, etc? Maybe you have a little control panel for the game that we can't see. That's the only thing I can think of.

I posted the panel I can get to that allows me to change the settings -- that is all I have access to that allows changes unless there is some hidden button somewhere I can't find! I can't see rankings either even as the game owner/keeper. Hopefully customer service will answer the question to us soon. I am still looking into it myself --- but i have to ask, if i can't figure this out should i be investing money in stocks? LOL

but i have to ask, if i can't figure this out should i be investing money in stocks? LOL

LOL I'm trying to figure this out too...:)++

Has anyone figured out what the heck we are doing? I purchased some stock last night, and this am it says "security not trading" what does that mean?

Has anyone figured out what the heck we are doing? I purchased some stock last night, and this am it says "security not trading" what does that mean?

I guess the stock you tried to buy isn't trading today for some reason or hasn't been traded yet. Did you buy some small, thinly traded stock?

This simulator has some glitches in it. It wouldn't let me purchase options over the weekend because the stock wasn't being traded those days (message: "you cannot buy this option because the underlying security is not being traded"). Well, duh, of course the stock isn't being traded Sat and Sun. In a regular online trading site you can buy options on the weekend, just like you can buy stock on the weekend and the order is executed when the market opens on Monday.

ok Magdalen - you and your options had me off reading... I read dummies options 101 and I still don't get em. <sigh> I will have to read more as time permits to try and understand them but basically are you betting against what you think the price will be then you have the option to buy it when your time expires?

Maybe we should each take a section to read then come back and poop it out for everyone. Give the cliff notes version for everyone.

*problem on ranking*

Went all through the help section, game owners etc and cannot figure out why it is not ranking. I submitted another request for help from customer support. Someone submitted the original, did you receive a reply?

I am at -3.7% :(

ok Magdalen - you and your options had me off reading... I read dummies options 101 and I still don't get em. <sigh> I will have to read more as time permits to try and understand them but basically are you betting against what you think the price will be then you have the option to buy it when your time expires?

pretty much you're betting at where the price will go. If you have a put option you're betting the price will go below your strike price and if you have a call option you're betting that the price will go above your strike price.

The call option makes a bit more sense. You are buying the option to purchase 100 shares of stock at a certain price. Then you can exercise it (sell) it at the higher market price and make money on the difference.

In a put option you get the option to sell the stock at the strike price (basically "put" it to someone) which ends up being higher than the market price and hence make money.

An "in the money" option is a call option with a strike price lower than the market price or a put option with a strike price higher than the market price.

You can sell the option anytime before it expires. If it never gets in the money and doesn't increase in value you can let it expire without exercising it. Of course, then you've lost all of the cost of the option and transaction fees.

Thats a good idea, I can read computer tech manuals, I should be able to read and understand investing...

Absolutely, I can't figure out those damn manuals and I was able to figure out the basics of options.

Maybe set up another game and one of us join to see if we can see it. I have checked and everything shows public and viewable so I don't know what I did or didn't do....

I actually set one up and I don't see anything different in what you did than what I did. It still says "no players to rank."

In fact, I went to the other game, the major game they suggested that people join, and I'm positive I saw rankings the other day. Now I see the same, "No players yet to rank." So I think maybe their game section is broken.

http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/GameOverview.aspx

OK - I am trying it again. :) Same game name, let's see if it works!

Game max is 740 days per the system

You have successfully created the C InfoCenter game. Here is all the information you need to start recruiting members:

Game ID: CInfoCenter

Game Name: C InfoCenter

Game ID:

CInfoCenter

Members:

Start Date:

3/27/2008

Creator:

Lyssarene

Ending Date:

3/29/2010

Game Rules

Starting Cash:

$100,000.00

Can Users Join After Game Begins?:

Yes

Allow User to Reset Portfolio?:

Yes

Allow Private Portfolios?:

No

Allow Selling Short?:

Yes

Allow Limit Orders?:

Yes

Allow Stop Orders?:

Yes

Allow Margin?:

Yes

Minimum Trade Price:

$2.00

Maximum Trade Price:

No Maximum

Maximum % Trading Volume:

100%

Commission per Trade:

$9.95

Credit Interest Rate:

4%

Debit Interest Rate:

6%

Can one person register (just as easy as other site) and see if this one works. This one may work as when I view the game I show ranked #1 (there is only me!) but it is showing a ranking. Trades are much easier to make in this site.

OK, I'm in! Chester Poindexter - that's me! That took about 10 seconds to register and get in. Thanks, Lyssey! (Hope I didn't use the wrong knickname. Don't you hate it when people make one up? Don't call me Chesty, OK?) :p

hehehe, Lyssey is ok. :)

OK I can see you guys!!!!!!!!!! Check out how easy it is to make a trade. I think this one is user friendly, very much so.

:lol: No kidding

I actually wondered for a minute how I was going to transfer my account over until I remembered it wasn't real.

This is just what I need - another addiction. xdancex

I propose this original quote of the day that I just made up:

"Who needs to see the sun rise when you can see the market open?"

... I know, I know... I'm a real nerd.

Hehehe, I like though. Since I started a month or so ago playing with a minor amount of money in the stocks... I watch it constantly and I can't wait for it to open in the morning. Geeks R Us should have been the name of the game.