post counsling certificate

hotrod

While not the cheapest, Dave Ramsey's is the most entertaining.

You can find it here: http://www.daveramsey.com/bankruptcy/

Some places that are really cheap require you to fill out a form and mail it in. That takes time. The Dave Ramsey one does it all on-line and sends you your certificate in the form of a secure .pdf file.

I used this one myself and it certainly woke my sorry @$$ up to some bad decisions and habits I needed to clear up.

I just went to the Dave Ramsey site b/c I need to do my counseling - There is this note across the top of the screen after you click on "bankruptcy"

NOTE: No pre-discharge certificates for completion of this course

Isn't that what I need? Do you think they have stopped giving certificates? Or is the couseling I need not called "pre-discharge certificates" I am confused - I don't want to pay and sit through something for nothing! The one we used before we filed was Hummingbird - For the second one they say it is a 2 hour course and you have to watch it all for code words that you have to enter at the end along with a test to take to get the certificate. Are they all this long and time consuming? And how long do we have to do it - 45 days from our filing date or from the date of our 341 mtg? I have looked at my letter from the trustee and the wording is ambiguous. Thanks!

You need two certificates. One is pre-filing, the other is pre-discharge.

The first one you have to do before you file for bankruptcy. This one is supposed to screen you to see if you really need to file. Of course, most people who do this part of the counseling find that they do need to file. Dave Ramsey does not offer this one because he does not condone bankruptcy. He would rather have you pay your debts back.

The second "class" you need to take and get a certificate for is the pre-discharge requirement. This is the one you have to do after your 341 meeting but before the judge will sign off on your discharge. This one goes over budgeting, money management, and how to correct your credit report (because even the US Trustee acknowledges that lenders don't handle your credit reports correctly post-bankruptcy). Dave Ramsey does offer this one.

Right - we did the prefiling - it's the pre-discharge we need. We had our 341 last week. I liked the idea of doing Dave's course but since there is the big red words across the screen saying NO PRE-DISCHARGE CERTIFICATES FOR COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE - I don't guess I'll do it. I don't understand why anyone would do it if you don't get the certificate!

WTF?! I just went back and looked. I see what you're saying. They must have lost their approval from the Trustee office very recently. I did my pre-discharge course through that very site in January and I got a certificate.

It may have something to do with how Dave is about "re-establishing your credit." His course discourages doing so...he even goes so far as to suggest you not even care about your FICO score; after all, if you never intend to take out another loan other than a house in the future, why would you even care?

I bet that goes over like a lead brick with the credit lenders...they probably pushed the Trustee office to pull his certificate granting ability because his course is creating more educated consumers that don't want to borrow.

(Disclosure: I am currently in discussions to become a FPU administrator for my area teaching Dave's full course).

I have his bankruptcy edition in video clip form. PM if you want to take a look at a sample before footing the bill for his course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Right - we did the prefiling - it's the pre-discharge we need. We had our 341 last week. I liked the idea of doing Dave's course but since there is the big red words across the screen saying NO PRE-DISCHARGE CERTIFICATES FOR COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE - I don't guess I'll do it. I don't understand why anyone would do it if you don't get the certificate!

did you get your discharge yet if you did how long it took