Chevron Credit Builder account is no more :(

Hello - after reading this board, I thought I could likely get the Chevron Rebuilder account that was referenced throughout the board. I tried to apply and I found out that card is no longer offered. They require at least a 600 score now ... bummer, I almost was thinking I was going to buy all my gas at Chevron in an effort to build my credit. BUMMER! :-(

Well, at least Crown Jewelers can get some of my business! xdancex

I would not fret too much over this -

Crown is a decent deal; You should also try Orchard and First Premier. They will charge you some fees, but this is the price we pay to rebuild. It won't take but a few months of some serious work following the information on these boards to get your scores into the 600s and then other worlds will open up to you. I suggest from my own experience to deal with repair and clean up -- getting yourself as close to 600 and as clean as possible -- before you worry about rebuilding (i.e., opening new accounts).

Good luck.

PS: You do not need to buy and charge a bunch of stuff to rebuild your credit.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Sorry Leslie, but Spunk, DO NOT go with First Premier. Too many fees that unless you were absolutely desperate, the main consensus on us old timers is DON'T get that card. It is not worth going with predatory CC companies that take advantage of the fact that you're trying to rebuild your credit. On a card of about $200, you end up with a CL of $25-50 after all the fees are applie just to get the card. You also get stuck with a $79 user fee that is paid at $6 a month and a yearly fee of $49. As you can see it all adds up really quick and you can't get much use of the card until you can zero it out right away to avoid interest.

If you want a card to go with, try for the Cap1s, HSBC (not Orchard, although they are the same company, HSBC has better quality of CS), and Target. These will usually approve you at 570 and up. Once you get around 580-600, apply for the Hooters and Carnival Sea Miles cards.

If you have some extra money, you can even try for a secure card like BoA. They do graduate you to an unsecured card, refunding your deposit. Takes about a year but you get a CLI at graduation and you also get your foot in the door with a Prime Lender. The reporting on your CRs between a Secure/Unsecured card also makes no difference in regards to Fico scores. A lot of people here have the BoA card and we're quite happy with it. You can even increase your CL with extra deposits. Hope this helps.

Spunk, do you have some negatives that need to be removed? I would suggest doing more repair then start applying.

The cc industry is in turmoil like everything else, and it is possible that the companies are tightening their requirements across the board. I know we have been seeing Hooters granting much lower CL recently.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Yes, I have 35 items that have to either be paid, or requested deletions due to inaccuracies - I have some work to do. I just got a Macys card (crazy that they gave it to me, I was really surprised) and I applied to get one of those First Premier cards that have that $150 fee with a $200 CL. I'll start making regular payments on both so that I have a positive line.

I also have defaulted student loans to fix and a few judgments.

And some creditors who have violated FRCA that I could potentially pursue - got my work cut out for me! I'm hoping by the end of the year I could be in some shape to get some normal credit - it will have taken me 15 years to mess up and recover!!

Spunk999 I have to agree with Isislc. I received a HSBC card. I about passed out when I was approved.

I learned about it from Merkurfan. Here is what he told me and it worked.:)

"try www.hsbcapply.com it'll pull a soft on your EX report and report back with a list of their cards you have really good (has anyone been turned down for a card after the site told them they could get it?) chance of getting it."

Good luck!

I see what you all mean - I know First Premier sucks - I'll try the other card, do you think if I call First Premier and ask them to send me my check back and cancel my application, that would work? Isn't there a law where you can cancel credit within 48 hours without any fees, or was that just a state law in IL? :?

ISI - if by "posting thousands of times" is what equates to being an old-timer then I guess you have me beat. But I've been around just about as long as you have and I know from experience that if spunk wants a credit card or two before his repair is even halfway done, he will need to go with a card like FP. Yes, the fees are high, especially at first. And there is no doubt that waiting to repair before rebuilding is the way to go. At the stage spunk says he is at, this is the best he is going to do...but the best advice is JUST WAIT and work hard in the meantime.

ISI - if by "posting thousands of times" is what equates to being an old-timer then I guess you have me beat. But I've been around just about as long as you have and I know from experience that if spunk wants a credit card or two before his repair is even halfway done, he will need to go with a card like FP. Yes, the fees are high, especially at first. And there is no doubt that waiting to repair before rebuilding is the way to go. At the stage spunk says he is at, this is the best he is going to do...but the best advice is JUST WAIT and work hard in the meantime.

I disagree. The "best he can get" is a secured card. They are low on fees and will cost just as much as the fees for FP

Hey there - thanks for all the feedback! The reason I was trying to establish some kind of credit now is that I talked to a car dealer who looked at my credit to see if I could get financing based on a downpayment, my income and how long I have been on my job, even if my credit is bad. He said he could have worked something out for me if I had *something* positive on my credit. I don't even have any trade line that is showing that I would make payments if offered a second chance. That was why I decided I wanted to get 2 or 3 positive trade lines to maintain while I work on all the other stuff on my credit.

I went with FP, and after reading this post, I did apply at HSBC and they offered me a secured card, however I had to post $300 to start while FP is only $29 to start. I realize I am paying $150 over the long term, plus fees, where HSBC would be way less fees, however I already have my FP application submitted, so I have to see if I can cancel my application. $300 would have been okay to swing, however my car just got impounded 8 days ago and fees are mounting there and I am scrambling to get my car out of the pokey right now :shock: so that made the $29 look a little nicer than $300 - I know it's not a very financially sound choice, I am in survival mode for the next 30 days so ... :arrow:

I figure with FP and Macys and maybe one more I'll get in the next month or so (maybe HSBC?), I'll be okay to get a car this summer. And a house next year.

For now, I have to figure out about these impound fees - $50 a day, can you believe that? I am at $610 as of today - sheesh, I'm in the wrong business!

I almost forgot - I did apply at Crown Jewelers and I never received a response from them! They sent me an email saying that my application was received and that I would hear something once it's been verified, but it's been about 9 days - I just went to their site and tried to apply again and it said I already had a current application and I should fill out the form to get a user id and password. I did that, and it said that once it verifies my information, it will send me a password. :confused:

I almost forgot - I did apply at Crown Jewelers and I never received a response from them! They sent me an email saying that my application was received and that I would hear something once it's been verified, but it's been about 9 days - I just went to their site and tried to apply again and it said I already had a current application and I should fill out the form to get a user id and password. I did that, and it said that once it verifies my information, it will send me a password. :confused:

Give them a call.

Thanks for the tip! I must have missed the email somehow - I have an account with $1500 - now I have to buy something - it's all overpriced crappy jewelry, but I guess that's the price to pay for credit ... :roll:

Thanks - I forgot I even applied there - LOL

Great job!!

Some of their stuff is not so bad. They have Fossil watches - I know you can find them cheaper elsewhere, but I'd rather pay a little more for something of high quality than pay their high prices for a piece of no-name junk. I also bought a pair of silver earrings that aren't bad.

Be prepared, when you buy, they will make you use another form of payment for a "downpayment" and the shipping - which amounts to most of the cost! I think my total was $60ish and $11 got put on my CJ account. I was surprised but then read about the downpayment deal on here. Eventually it goes away with good history w/ Crown.

That $1500 will help you!