paying collection--do I still go to court???

I know it seems counterproductive to pay and try to avoid going to court, but I OWE this money and want to pay it. I have asked the attorney representing the OC twice for a pay off amount so I could just write a check and he never responded. Instead, he took me to court. I sent a letter to the court disputing on these grounds, and it was flipped to mediation. WHY should I go to court, mediation or anywhere besides the BANK for a MONEY ORDER when all I want to do is PAY this off!!

Ok, done venting and explaining....my problem now is that I plan to send the amount of the balance due according to the summons to the attorney as it matches my records within what I feel are "close enough" amounts....<$100 to MY favor. If this is received and I get a return receipt, can I send a letter to the court requesting a dismissal due to "full payment made" or does this request have to come by the attorney?

I don't wish to waste the court's time (or the mediator's time) just to write a check. That is so useless for us all. I also don't want to go pay attorney's fees, or whatever else they tack on just because the attorney in question refused to issue me a payoff amount.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Mollie.

Do not just send a check and hope for the best. Contact the plaintiff's attorney and try to get an agreement in writing that in exchange for payment, they are withdrawing the suit and that the debt will be deleted from your credit report.

Whatever happens, you want to get something in writing.

Attend the mediation. Tell your story. That way you have a third party involved and thus better chances of getting things documented correctly.

Debt Guy is correct. I take it that this is in magistrate's court? Did you answer the suit or merely write a letter?

• 2 months later...

For all those that answered me, thank you ever so much. Now for the update......

I paid the debt prior to court since all I had needed was the total amount. Well, after that, I called the court to see if I still needed to attend. It had been cancelled from their docket as well.

I am thankful that I got to this board as it is helping me get back on my feet. I appreciate it all.