mtnair

How to pick a BK Attorney

Today in the mail we got a demand letter from a lawyer. He wants just under 40K by April 15th for his client, if we pay it they would forgive the remaining 20K. The client is the former landlord of DH business, they sold the building and asked us to move. We had been in the building since 1990, and had an arrangement with them to pay as much as we could, and get caught up when we got a big sale. (We have been behind pretty since the beginning.)

We don't have 60K.

How do we pick a BK Attorney?

Thanks, I had read all the stickies when I realized what we were going to have do. I had even started on your list. I knew that I had read somewhere a suggestion on where to look, but could not remember where.

Thanks again.

Stay away from the big bankruptcy mills. If they have offices throughout your city, in all likelihood your petition is prepared by a paralegal and you will be represented by an attorney fresh out of law school whom you have never met until your hearing. I belong to NACBA and it is very dedicated group of bankrutpcy attorneys who have been at it for a while. Be careful of people who just started getting into bankruptcy law this year. Most of us about starved to death after the 2005 changes and a lot of people got out of it because it was no longer a matter of just filing papers. It takes me almost an hour just to go through the means test with a client. A lot of people are now jumping in because people like me are so overwhelmed with demand and cannot help everyone that calls or they can't afford to pay me. Good Luck