CA and payment arrangements

rodeogal

I have done a search for this question, and read the FDCPA information on this site so I apologize if I am asking a redundant question.

DH has medical collection. Of course CA demands payment in full TODAY. I contacted OC, but they say I must make arrangements with CA. Does the CA have to allow me to make payments? I only want to make 6 payments on an $800 bill. I broke the rule and spoke to CA on phone today. She told me I could request DV in writing (I got their letter on 02/16/08), but payment was still due today in full.

Should I DV them to buy me a little more time, or should I just send them a PFD request with my payment proposal? If they just keep demanding payment in full do I just stall until I can pay in full then only do so with a PFD?

Send the DV. Don't be paniced by their threats.

And, since its unlikely that the CA would agree to payments, if it were me, I'd call the OC back and tell them its my personal policy NOT to deal with collection agencies and if they want paid, they'll have to deal with me directly, or take me to court and we'll let the judge decide....which gives you time to save up the money.

They don't have to accept any deal you offer them. Luckily, you also do not have to accept any deal or demands they send to you.

They're going to want the money as soon as they can get it. You're going to have to make them understand that if they don't accept payment on your terms, they get no payment at all.

They hate doing PFD's as well (they actually have agreements with the CRA's to not do them), so you have quite a battle of wills to fight.

I would probably tell them "either you accept installments or you will wait several months until I can pay the lump sum. Your choice."

Don't use personal checks, credit cards, bank draft, etc to pay them either. They might decide to simply take the balance without asking.

I would recommend a DV anyway, not to stall them, but so they can prove they are authorized to be the ones to collect the debt. Unless the OC has confirmed to your satisfaction that this CA is definitely the one you have to pay.