Is it true that CRAs don't require hard copy to verify accuracy?

I disputed with EX and got a letter containing the following:

When you question information on your personal credit report and tell us specifically why you believe the information is inaccurate or incomplete, we contact the source of the information through an automated verification system or letter. We ask the source to check their records to verify all of the information regarding the item you questioned,

AND...

The Federal Trade Commission (the government agency charged with enforcement of the FCRA) does not require that the consumer credit reporting company obtain documentation such as the actual signed sales slips, signature cards, contracts, etc.; nor does it require that consumer credit reporting companies act as mediators or negotiators in account disputes.

Needless to say, in a seperate letter dated the same day,EX says it verified my Unifund and Asset TLs. The next day, they replied to another written dispute stating I needed to ID myself further.

I guess they want to play hardball, now that I went from online to written disputes. Do I send them another letter challenging the Unifund and Asset verification? What should I say/request?

Thanks

Do a search for E-Oscar. It's the electronic system the CRAs use to verify information. Basically, a customer service person gets your letter, glances over it quickly and condenses whatever you wrote to a 2 digit code. The code is sent to the CA and the CA responds with a another 2 digit code. That's it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Using eOScar is not a reasonable investigation, so I'd love to see someone sue over this...

Not to bump an old thread...But I'm quite tempted to go this route right now. Maybe it's my frustration hitting it's peak, since everyone knows that I'm not the lawsuit type...:evil:

Lovebug, who's really the problem? The CRAs or the creditors? If you have proof that a TL should not be on your CR, and if the CRAs won't comply, then sue.

What constitues a "reasonable investigation" is always being debated and there is some good case law out there. But, in the end, a lot of the info is coming from the creditors. So, I'd put my time and energy dealing with them. After you've exhausted all you can do with CAs and OCs and you've gotten proof of your claims, then go after the CRAs.

In my situation, it's both...That's the issue here. I'm attempting to deal with both ends, gathering up all of the documentation that I possibly can. Although the debate as to whether or not E-Oscar is a reasonable form of verification is constant, in my situation E-Oscar has proven to consistently update incorrect information...Information that is blatantly incorrect. The CRA in question here is refusing to do any other type of investigation on the basis that I, as the consumer, need to contact the OC and then provide the OC's information to the CRA. However, the CRA's contact information for the OC has been disconnected - and their response to me?

"It's your responsibility to get a name and phone number and provide it back to us."

Even if just on principle, I'm still angry. LOL.

Lovebug, I hear ya. But take it from me. Sometimes it's not worth it.

To make a long story short. Last year, I sued EQ because there was a TL listed on my CR that I knew for sure shouldn't be there. While gathering my evidence, I contacted the president of the CA in question. Now, this was after I sent 2 or 3 letters to the CA plus an ITS and they didn't respond. End result was that within 10 minutes, the CA agreed to delete and I had a deletion letter emailed to me. The CA also sent the deletion request to EQ via E-Oscar.

Now, while EQ did not do an exhaustive investigation, I wasted time and money filing suit, when all I had to do was be more persistent with the CA.

So, if you know that you know that you are right, then keep going after the CAs and OCs until you get some written proof of your claims. Make some phone calls if you have to.