Trifecta Question/Suggestions...

So at this point I'm not a beneficiary of the Sterling Trifecta (Kay/Jareds/JB) and I'm debating going through with it. Truth is that I have no need for these cards, as I have no intention of purchasing any jewelery from the stores...But the generous CL's that they give could potentially help me out in the long run. I know there are some people on the forums who have these cards solely for reporting purposes and don't actually use them...

Who here thinks that the temporary score ding by getting these would be worth the benefit in the end, even if I don't use the cards?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I wouldn't get all three because for anyone reviewing a credit report, I think it looks suspicious to have three jewelers listed, all with relatively high CLs.

Apply for Kay. It's the online/instant approval one. You should get a decent CL that would probably be more than enough to give you a decent bump.

Just applied for Kay's - got the same "Your Application is Under Review - You'll get an Email within 1 hour" message that I did last time. Thinking that I may have screwed up one of the 5 identity verification questions that they asked me, I called into their service center and the rep told me that she couldn't view my application...To wait for the Email and then call back. So we shall see. ;)

My only suggestion would be to get all 3 at the same time should u decide to get one. That way you can limit the slight ding that your scores will take. I can tell u, as someone who has reveiwed thousands of credit reports, having 3 jewelery store cards is not really a red flag. Its no different than having multiple department store cards.

UPDATE: A representative from Kay just called me up and told me that they pulled EQ, and EQ is showing a FA on my report. Interesting - no FA is showing through TC...I laughed. He verified a few questions with me over the phone, said that he was finishing up my application and I would be notified shortly if I was being approved.

So this is one step further than I've gotten with them before - they actually called me. But I'm thinking that if I would've been approved, wouldn't he have told me that over the phone? LOL!

..In the event that I am, in fact, approved for Kay's and decide to complete the trifecta - should I immediately apply for Jared's and JB online??

My only suggestion would be to get all 3 at the same time should u decide to get one. That way you can limit the slight ding that your scores will take. I can tell u, as someone who has reveiwed thousands of credit reports, having 3 jewelery store cards is not really a red flag. Its no different than having multiple department store cards.

Unfortunately, each of them will pull your credit. Fortunately, (at least in PA) they don't pull EX.

Okay folks, I GOT IT! :) Please excuse the caps, but I'm slightly excited at the approval. I was approved for $2,000...So now I'm trying to figure out whether or not I apply with Jareds online or via phone??

If you do have a FA, you may have to go to the store to apply. That's what ended up doing. I got Kay online and had to go to the store to get Jared and even then they wanted to call me back at home to verify I was who I said I was. I ended up going to the store because I got a letter saying they were denying because they "couldn't verify" my identity. By that time I was too worn out to go to the store to get JBR (I had received the same letter).

lovebug, Re: the FA on your EQ, my DH had the same thing happen to him. It wasn't showing on his TC reports, but he did in fact have an FA on there leftover from a 90 day alert.

You may want to call EQ just to make sure that it isn't there, and if it is, have it removed. They were able to remove DH's over the phone, and didn't have any of that "you must mail it in" nonsense.

And it's good to see you back! :)

Lovebug since I got into the same mess you did w/ Kay and my FA...here's my question:

How long did you wait this time to reapply?

My last application was in December of 2007 and I was rejected on the basis of my current credit accounts being too young...

(I'm the idiot who didn't realize that they pull your credit for each of the trifecta - I thought it was one pull...Only EQ is showing a ding so far!)

UPDATE: So, they did pull my CR's three separate times for the trifecta. Kay pulled EQ while Jared and JB pulled TU. I haven't yet heard from Jared or JB as to whether or not I've been approved with them, and I was incredibly surprised to see that they actually double pulled my TU report. Although it's a slight ding, hopefully I'll rebound and it'll be worthwhile. I haven't dealt with IQ's on my reports, so it's odd to see them there!!!

I think they report @ the end of the month. Last week of the month or so...?

I'm hoping so. I even went back to my little "Preferred Cards" that I received in the mail to make sure that they were actually CC's...LOL. It does say, "Preferred Credit Card" on the top of the page - so I'm assuming that eventually they'll report. Oh the waiting game...It's so hard.