CA giving CRA's false info....surprise surprise

lookingforhelp

I am having trouble with an CA account that I am trying to settle. I disputed the account numerous times to no avail, that's when I decided to try for a PFD.

I wrote a PFD letter to the CA that included removing the account from my CR's, having no negative mention of the account, .etc.......

However the letter i recieved from the CA had no mention of deleting or not reporting to the CRA. It only said that they would accept $350 on a $700 debt. So of course I did not send the money order.

The problem is on my CR they have changed the status of the account to " paying under a partial payment plan".....

Two Questions.

1. Could this finally be a valid reason for the CRA to delete this account, if I use this false info as a dispute reason?

2. Will this updated status on a collection account bring down my scores?

Thanks

1) Yes, it COULD, but it probably won't. Sounds like (the CA's version of) accurate reporting. Settlement = partial payment

2) Yes. A recent 'date last reported' combined with many things in the TL that indicate default cause significant deductions to your score. FICO-based software mistakenly views this as a recent derog and penalizes in the History category. That piece of the pie currently makes up to 35% of the total number.

Anytime a collection agency updates an account it is making it recent again on the credit report and affecting the credit score.

They should not have updated a payment plan in progress since you have not agreed yet.

I would recommend writing back a second settlement letter, offering the full amount for deletion.