Who owns this CC debt

dcw

I had a Metris card that was charged off in 04/07. Account was sold but I can't figure out to whom. I called OC and they said debt purchased by West Asset Management, I received letter in Jan 08 from Central Credit Services listing Worldwide Asset Purchasing as their client and seeking payment. I know there's a JDB in here somewhere but I'm looking to settle - just want to make sure I only pay once. Any ideas on how to proceed. I did DV Central Credit this week.

Thanks for any info

I had a Metris card that was charged off in 04/07. Account was sold but I can't figure out to whom. I called OC and they said debt purchased by West Asset Management, I received letter in Jan 08 from Central Credit Services listing Worldwide Asset Purchasing as their client and seeking payment. I know there's a JDB in here somewhere but I'm looking to settle - just want to make sure I only pay once. Any ideas on how to proceed. I did DV Central Credit this week.

Thanks for any info

West Asset and World Wide are the same entity. Sounds like they are using CCS as their CA in this case. Read more about this JDB here:

http://www.budhibbs.com/debtcollectorpages/worldwide_asset_purchasing.htm

They can and do sue so be very cautious in how you approach this. If you have never been contacted by them then I would lay low. If they start actively collecting then follow the DV process.

I advise you to follow the DV process - one of thre reasons you do so is to answer questions like this (who owns the debt) and especially so if your intent is to settle - the last thing you want to do is settle, thinking the matter is dead, and they have it come back to haunt you down the road.

The DV process is THE way to ensure you are protected and any CA that resuese to play by the rules can't be trusted.