CA Statement to relative

egallagher2k

What would one's course of action be if a CA send a bill/invoice/statement to one's relative at an address that person never lived? Right persons name, wrong address and the address of a relative. No SS#, Acct number or any other identifying info. I know she should request validation but does the fact that this info was sent to a third party mean anything?

Hmmmm. So if a CA sent your financial information to your name at your cousin, or uncle or sister-in-law's address and you never ever lived at that address that is not a violation? I believe you but it doesn't sound right to me. That would mean they could send out Harriet Smith's personal information to every Smith in the phone book as long as it was addressed to Harriet.

If the letter is addressed to Harriet, then some other Smith should know not to open it.

Exactly. That's why many CAs put the legal notice on the envelope that if it is NOT addressed to you, to NOT open it and to put it back in the mailbox marked "return to sender."

What would one's course of action be if a CA send a bill/invoice/statement to one's relative at an address that person never lived? Right persons name, wrong address and the address of a relative. No SS#, Acct number or any other identifying info. I know she should request validation but does the fact that this info was sent to a third party mean anything?

Is that the address listed on your CR or had youlisted that address down for a reference. I'd DV and give them the correct address. If they continue to send to the wrong address after they sign for your DV then a followup letter with harhser language may be needed.