Ravenous Wolf

The Moose Lodge

In a business trip not too long ago in Maryland, I had to make a presentation to a group of our customers who had flown in to see it. As per custom, every night was a night of dinner and drinks afterwards at a bar for the entire time we were there (it was only one week this time around). Sometimes we would pay for drinks and other times it was the customer so it always balanced itself out.

In the middle of the week, one guy from the customer wanted to go to a different place. He was a member of the Moose Lodge (or whatever you call it) so we all followed him to the local lodge that was in town.

I had never been in a private fraternal club before.

It was pretty interesting. The place was like one of the typical rat hole bars I have been too but it was really cozy. There was a huge moosehead on the wall and the drinks were dirt cheap. It was easy buying a round for everything there and everyone had a good time.

The customer had a young engineer (like 24 or 25) who decided to enroll in the Loyal Order of Moose. He forked out the cash for it and the senior member there initiated him into the lodge. I was half expecting him to wear like a funny hat and then bend over to get paddled.

But he just recited a quick pledge and became a member.

And I was surprised that there were some relatively young women at the bar having drinks.

Now if this fraternal order is a good charity where people can enjoy a few brews in a calm atmosphere, then I wouldn't mind joining. But since I am married with children, it cannot be a place where strippers show up once a year or if I have to sacrifice a goat.

So does anybody know much about the Moose Lodge?

I don't know much of the Moose Lodge, but I am considering joining a Masonic Order sometime in the future. From what I understand, there is a lot of time you have to dedicate and it is nothing like collegiate fraternal hazing (even though most if not all Greek Letter orgs are based on Masonic rituals).

I suspect that this young engineer is not a full member at all. He probably paid an associate member fee, but if the Moose Lodge is a true fraternal order, they wouldn't just "let him in" after paying. And if in fact that were the case, then it isn't a true fraternal order at all. It'd pretty much be another social club, or something. I know with the Masons, there is history and customs that you have to study and then be tested on. There are levels of Masonry and unlike a Fraternity where you'd have one "secret handshake", there are 3 based on the level of Masrony you are at.

With that said, if you had fun with those guys, then hey see what they're about. Are they active in the community? Are the members the type of guys you would normally hang out with? Or are they pretty much another drinking club (which if they are, I'm sure you already have buddies for that).

I think your experience is pretty typical. I had a close friend whose dad was a Moose and it was just a good beer-drinking, football-watching private club. I am not sure what kind of community service they do (if any). And a couple of nights a week, the wives were allowed. I think it's very similar to the Elks (which my grandfather was a proud member of). I don't think strippers, hazing, or anything similar are involved. But these lodges vary from community to community so I'd want to know what the local one (and its members) was like.

I think your experience is pretty typical. I had a close friend whose dad was a Moose and it was just a good beer-drinking, football-watching private club. I am not sure what kind of community service they do (if any). And a couple of nights a week, the wives were allowed. I think it's very similar to the Elks (which my grandfather was a proud member of). I don't think strippers, hazing, or anything similar are involved.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Beer drinking and watching the game.

I don't want to learn a new religion or any history. I want to go to a place to watch a ball game and drink some brews in a friendly environment. Toss in a little bit of charity work and it almost gives my beer drinking a cause to do more drinking.

However, I looked up the web site and I think that there is only one lodge in San Antonio Texas and it is in a crummy part of town.

Is there anybody else here that is a member of the Moose lodge or Elks...

In some cities the American Legion has kind of a good vibe. There is also the ITAM club if you're eligible for membership. Not sure ITAM is really big in Texas! More of an East Coast thing.