Denied Target Card

Well, that's a bogus answer!! I have not had a land line for years and was approved with my cell phone. I would call them and speak to a supervisor. When they verified my address, I had to send in a few documents and it was a done deal.

That's dumb. I have Vonage - you can't really call that a landline - and there was no issue. I was approved instore.

PS: To the OP, sorry you didn't have a very good day what w/ the Hooters and Target denials. That's unusual but may mean you have more repair to do before you can start the rebuild. Hang in there!

I can't repair anymore on TU or EQ and those are the ones they pulled. All I have left is 1paid judgment. Ex is still working on getting somethings removed but I didn't even see a soft on there. I will see what the Hooters says but the letter from Target said Unable to verify address and phone number disconnected. I have had the same phone number for years and it is not disconnected. I thought it was funny they couldn't verify my address but sent me mail to the same address. I called them up and the lady said they use the phone number to verify address and not many cell companies allow them to do that, so that is why it came back that way. I asked if this was the only reason why I was denied and she said yes. She said if I got a land line and reapplied I would be approved as long as nothing on my credit goes bad in that time. I wonder if the instore applications would turn me down as well. Also my credit is actually better since I applied, I had one baddie with a balance removed since then.

I still don't see how they would say that. Maybe you should try in the store. I know some have received preapprovals at the checkout after using a debit card over a period of time. that might be another option for you.

Make sure you are speaking with someone in credit approval dept and it is someone with the power to assist you.

good luck

Do you have a FA on your reports? Is the disconnected old phone number listed on your CR's?? Because if they were trying to verify your identity using a phone number on your reports, well...That's the issue.

But again, they approved me with a cell.

No FAs. And the phone number I gave was/is my current cell.

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like you were fed a giant load of BS. I'm sorry to hear that...I would definitely follow everyone's advice and call back, get a supervisor and explain the situation.

OK so I called back and the supervisor said that I was not approved because of the phone issue. However, he did say they pulled information from Nexis Lexis (Judgment I'm guessing) but that wasn't the reason I was denied. He again told me to get a land line and re-apply and I would be approved. I'm writing LexNex to see what/how the information is listed. Has anyone pulled a LexNex report? Do they use your SSN?

Thanks

I can't repair anymore on TU or EQ and those are the ones they pulled. All I have left is 1paid judgment. Ex is still working on getting somethings removed but I didn't even see a soft on there. I will see what the Hooters says but the letter from Target said Unable to verify address and phone number disconnected. I have had the same phone number for years and it is not disconnected. I thought it was funny they couldn't verify my address but sent me mail to the same address. I called them up and the lady said they use the phone number to verify address and not many cell companies allow them to do that, so that is why it came back that way. I asked if this was the only reason why I was denied and she said yes. She said if I got a land line and reapplied I would be approved as long as nothing on my credit goes bad in that time. I wonder if the instore applications would turn me down as well. Also my credit is actually better since I applied, I had one baddie with a balance removed since then.

This is a completely bogus answer! "Not many cell companies allow them to do that."

I have only a cell phone but the account is NOT tied to my address! Even if the cell company did allow them to verify it wouldn't match!

I got a Target denial when I applied too. I sent a very nice recon letter and received a card with a $200 CL a couple weeks later.

I don't have the letter but I was denied because of one single old baddie that was still on TU at the time. I wrote a nice letter explaining that I was trying to rebuild credit and that I love shopping at Target. I made a credit mistakes in the past and was trying to make up for them....blah blah.

It worked.

No, here is EXACTLY what you need to do... call up and ask for their fraud department. It's usually for existing card holders, but once you are there, explain the situation and they will verify you with questions from your reports.

You HAVE to do this. If I had let it go with what CS said, I wouldn't have one either.