Better to blanket disputes or split them up?

crzygrl4241

Hi all!

I'm thisclose to getting ready to dispute my CR with the three CRA's. I have read and read on the forum and am seeing conflicting answers regarding the initial dispute letter.

Is it better to blanket dispute my negative items (there are quite a few, 13) or should I dispute say half and then wait 60 days and do the other half? I do not want them to think my dispute is frivolous as a lot of these really are incorrect.

I guess a second part to this question is: the book and many on this board say to initially dispute with "not mine", or "never late". What if I think the amount really is wrong? Would it still be good to start with "not mine" so if I have to dispute again I have another reason to use?

Thank you in advance. This forum is a god send. :D

The first part: It's up to you. I have had success disputing 5 at a time, waiting for results, 5 different ones, wait for results, repeat. I'ts really up to you though. But since you don't want them to call you "frivolous", I'd do it a few at a time, not all at once with that many.

The second part - also up to you. But I follow the process: not mine/never late/wrong amount/wrong date...etc It's the same concept of a "graduated denial" in a court document: I dispute this as being mine. If it is found to be mine, I dispute the accuracy of the "late" notations. If I am found to be late, I dispute the amounts. If the amounts are verified, I dispute the dates... of course, if your CR shows no lates, you will not use "never late" as a dispute reason, right? :wink: Right.

The only general rule is...if its something you might wind up in court over...dispute it by itself. No sense giving the other lawyer more info than they need.

I agree with this. Of course that can get expensive if sending by CMRRR. But well worth it later down the road if you have to send copies of you dispute letters to the BBB or AG. You wouldn't want them seeing four other accounts you disputed. Plus it makes it easier to track in my opinion. Each dispute letter you type, will get a response and I staple that response to the letter I sent.

Thank you to all of you! I really appreciate the responses.Not sure what the best thing to do would be... I guess in my case since I have 13 baddies to tackle (most late pays) it might make sense to break them up a little bit. :)

Amerikaner... I love your posts and I promise not to dispute Never Late for something not late. ;) It does make sense to start with one reason though in case you have to dispute again.

Thanks again!