Court Judgement and Default

paradox3696

hi all this is a great forum. I spent last 2 hours reading some of the articles before deciding to join the forum.

I have an old case which I could never get it settled ith. More than 20 years ago, I was in an accident while operated a vehicle without license and insurance. I paid the fine to the court (about $150 or so) and everything seemed to be ok.

Few months after the accident, I got my driver license. However, it didnt take long for the local sheriff to inform me that they would need to take back my driver license since I have a court judgement against me (i presume it was insurance company making the claim against me) without any payment being paid.

When i found a job , I called the "creditor" and asked for a schedule payment and I only made 2 or 3 payments and STOPPed coz I could not afford it anymore due to the employment status. And thus I lost my license again from THAT state.

I believe the total amount was about $15,000 or so for the judgement against me.

I just checked with the Transportation department last week and I was told that I would need to make an agreement with the "creditor" in order to apply for the license. They said it would take time for them to look at microfilm who the "creditor" is.

I would be grateful if someone could advise mewhat to do next.

Pleae note that I am still a low wage earner and cannot afford to pay much monthly.

Pls help

Thanks

I can tell you from experience that the only way to get your license back is to negotiate with the ones who own the judgment against you. I entered into a payment plan for $100 a month and after I'd paid for 6 months they sent a release to the DMV stating that I had entered into a satisfactory repayment plan. However, the moment I stop paying, they can tell the DMV to take my license away again.

If you're in a state that permits wage garnishment, which I believe South Dakota is, they can step in at any time and seize a portion of your wages every week, so it's definitely in your best interest to try to arrange something with them.

I dont agree with the whole "suspend your license cause you owe some money thing," They take away your license and you cant drive to get to work, legally, and they want you to pay the bill. I just dont see what a DL has to do with paying bills.

Some states also require getting an SR22 showing proof of insurance too as a requirement to one of these agreements. You may want to check on the requirements to reactivate your license too once you can get a settlement worked out. But yes, the only way you're getting it back is to make some kind of agreement with whomever owns the judgment.

The SR22 requirement is generally only for a couple years after the accident. If his accident was indeed 20 years ago, that restriction should be long gone by now. My license was suspended for driving without insurance (and being involved in an accident) in April 2004. My SR22 requirement expired 2 years after the date of my license suspension. By the time I got my license back, I was able to obtain standard liability insurance.

At this point he'd just have to pay the court (if he hadn't already) and enter into a satisfactory payment arrangement with the people who own the judgment (probably a law firm)