How can I find out who has the collection?

iolakana

Hello everyone. This is my very first time posting something like this so please excuse me if I don't sound right. I have a very big problem. I had hired a lawyer to help with my debt settlements & recently found out that he has had his license suspended, meanwhile no notice to me & kept accepting my settlement funds to put into settlement trust account-currently $7900. My question is how do I find out who has control of the collection on each credit card. The lawyer has my current file & I have no contact with office- I have sent many requests for my file. I do not want to file bankruptcy but the lawyer has taken what I had & I need to find out if any of the collections offices will settle with me direct or will need to file bankruptcy. I'm sorry to ramble but am so upset. I thought I was doing the correct thing by trying to use a lawyer. Please help me if you can. Thank you for your time.

Hello everyone. This is my very first time posting something like this so please excuse me if I don't sound right. I have a very big problem. I had hired a lawyer to help with my debt settlements & recently found out that he has had his license suspended, meanwhile no notice to me & kept accepting my settlement funds to put into settlement trust account-currently $7900. My question is how do I find out who has control of the collection on each credit card. The lawyer has my current file & I have no contact with office- I have sent many requests for my file. I do not want to file bankruptcy but the lawyer has taken what I had & I need to find out if any of the collections offices will settle with me direct or will need to file bankruptcy. I'm sorry to ramble but am so upset. I thought I was doing the correct thing by trying to use a lawyer. Please help me if you can. Thank you for your time.

I would say call the CC company. They could tell you who's handling the account.

You hae two problems, your debts and an attorney who is likely guilty of malpractice.

I stronly suggest that you hire an attorney TODAY who is familar with malpractice suites against other attorney's - you absolutely need to take control of this situation TODAY or you can likely kiss your $8 thoussand goodby (if in fact this deadbeat still has it). Such an attorney can also advise you if there is a posibility or criminal charges involved.

You also need to start working on your debt issues - in most cases, there is NOTHING a "debt settlement company" or an "attorney" can do for you that you can't do for yourself...if you really feel you need help with this, you might talk with your local CCCS office; they are about the only organization that is actually on the up-and-up; have been in operation for many years.

If your "lawyer" has had his license suspended and appears to have disappeared off of the face of the earth, get in touch with your State's Attorney General, specifically their Consumer Protection Division. Contact the bar association in your state...And start taking those steps to make sure that your money doesn't disappear as his license did. :)